Proper audio engine: Gapless Audio!

+1 Very frustrating issue that other DAWs I’ve used has at this point in time don’t have. When I have people over here for sessions they often comment on it, “why is it dropping out??”-- I’m not joking. They come from PT, Studio, Logic, others.

1 Like

Everyone has this issue.

Hi In Stereo,

Thanks for confirming this.

+1

+1 And sometimes audio comes back in erratically for a moment, and can even hurt the ears. At the very least, it makes A/B comparison difficult and fatiguing. VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR WORKING ARTISTS/MIXERS

1 Like

+1 This would be amazing!!

Seamless playback is a major feature for ProTools 2019

Used to it, but agree. Kinda annoying thing. For those who tries to move to Cubase from another DAW could be potentialy
decisive factor

+1

Is this simply a legacy issue from the 386 4mB RAM processor days?

+100000000000000000000000000000000

Needs to happen.

I’ve been thinking about why this problem has increased dramatically in C10…and it occurred to me that one of the biggest under the hood things they’ve done with C10 is how the program now deals with high res monitors.

I think there is some sort of correlation between C10’s widget elements changing states in the GUI interfering with the audio engine. It’s as though what they did to upgrade monitor performance is now bottlenecking audio calls to the CPU. I say this because all kinds of GUI elements that never used to affect playback integrity are now doing so. Just a empirical guess.

I’ve also been experiencing a lot of cutouts - often can’t hear an entire section of a song, even though I’ve been freezing my tracks compulsively.

Yeah, it’s noticeable in a very irritating way but we’re so used to it … we just have to move on with the project, and we forget about it.
It’s JUST a cut-out and we know nothing is crashing … right … maybe … should I check something? Mmmm …
It would be a relief to not have that stuff bothering us.

I work with a ton of young topliners and producers and they all get bummed out by the interruptions in audio when we’re writing or producing here – none of them have that problem on their systems with Ableton, FL, or Logic. Please let’s get this rolling ASAP! I’m looking like an old fart to them with things like this in Cubase, and I’m not even that old yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wondering, why start multiple threads for the same request? IMHO, it makes more sense to add support to the original thread. I think threads with higher post counts draw more attention.

This is a legit question because I wonder every time someone create a duplicate thread. I always feel that this approach of having 5 separate threads with 4 or 5 posts opposed to 1 with 20-25 posts dilutes the importance of the feature and makes it harder to track for those at Steinberg that monitor the forum. I think if we want Steinberg to listen to our requests we should do what we can to make it easier on them to identify the features that are most wanted by their user base.

By the way, this request a big one in my eyes and that is why I would like to see one thread with tons of support behind it.

You’re totally right – I just got frustrated with the whole issue and posted out of ire after yet another session with writers and producers complaining about it. I had already posted on the thread you’re referring to. But I’ll add to it again. It’s an issue that Cubase has fallen very much behind on and I get called out on it by almost every younger topliner and producer I work with here, and it’s frustrating for them and me.

Just to re-iterate and add to this thread: I work with a ton of young topliners and producers and they all get bummed out by the interruptions in audio when we’re writing or producing here – none of them have that problem on their systems with Ableton, FL, or Logic. Please let’s get this rolling ASAP! I look like an old fart to them with things like this in Cubase, and some of the other workflow issues. :slight_smile: That’s not an exaggeration – literally almost everyone I work with complains about how not having a gapless audio engine kills our writing and producing workflow for them here. They’re used to a modern way with things like this on their DAWs, so let’s have that new audio engine soon…!

Thanks for your response and I understand your frustration. I also know a few producers that won’t consider using Cubase for this very reason. They are both S1 users now. They feel that the constant audio dropouts kill their creative vibe.

I know a lot of Cubase purists will say that Cubase has features that these other programs don’t offer, but since a DAW’s primary purpose is to create music you would think rock solid audio playback would be a top priority. I am a long time Cubase user and am unlikely to switch to another DAW any time soon, but don’t have on Steinberg colored glasses when it comes to certain flaws that the program has either.

1 Like