Proper Dorico Technique

Something like this could solve a lot of these issues with educational worksheets, and would be easier for the user and less clicks than either flows or codas :grin:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a system design problem. If you allow one, people will want multiple nestings, which gives you a tree structure. Even just one gives you a tree of depth one, but I guarantee people will want more than that. And again itā€™s not clear for what purpose to me at least, before Dorico this AFAIK this concept with music notation didnā€™t exist, and people got along just fine. But not trying to make a big point of this, just an interesting discussion, I get your viewpoint :+1:

Thatā€™s a great idea. It comes up so frequently this would take care it. And it makes a lot of sense too, forcing you to use Flows or codas/system breaks to fix a simple formatting choice is counter intuitive.

That wouldnā€™t fix the first indent problem though, which still would need one of the other.

1 Like

Well sure. And ā€œrestart bar numbersā€ and ā€œrestart rehearsal marksā€ and ā€œcontinue at previous dynamicā€ and ā€œcancellation time signatureā€, and, andā€¦

4 Likes

I am afraid we have to disagree on this. Before Dorico, it was not possible to have an entire piece of music (symphony, opera, even a piano piece with multiple numbers) in one file. Users had to find workarounds to keep everything in a same folder, or build a pdf from pieces of outputsā€¦ Cumbersome.
Not seeing the benefit of it is just like ignoring that a book is made of chapters filled with paragraphs populated by sentences. Yes, you can write a book without these structures, but itā€™s not easy to work on it, and cumbersome to fake those structures!

3 Likes

Considering that there are other situations that call for the use of the Coda function, like the scales above and the Trio example, calling the function Coda is a bit restrictive. One might call it something more generic, with the ability to select properties like Coda, Trio, etc, that sets in each case those features needed to make it what the name of the property describes.

Thanks Dan. I have it set up with option one but it seems to throw new flows onto the next page. Guess I still have a lot of video watching and learning to do.

Yes, as a Horn player, you canā€™t not do them. Although, I went through my entire adult life living above the treble clef, now on Horn, having to read bass clef or low notes on treble is problematic. So I need to recreate this, with note names in order to fly through them properly.

Thanks Benwiggy.
Yes the reason I am beginning my transfer over from Sibelius is to alleviate the cautionary time and key signatures and that irritating barbed wire part of the bar lines sticking out at the right.

WOW, thanks Lillie!! Iā€™ll surely check it out. Sounds like youā€™ve done what others have been mentioning, I think :slightly_smiling_face: and I very mich appreciate the example!! Iā€™m still learning the nomenclature so while the finepoints are a bit foggy but I get the jist.

I appreciate so many having stepped up to offer advice!! Itā€™s all gold.

Tx Janus, yes that does make sense.

Yes Dan, I got that sense when I was reviewing the software and why I switched over. Prior to retiring I did (tried to do) information management for the Feds in Canada, Environment Canada - Enforcement actually. Also the reason I retired. Why evolve when you can stay safe and status quo.
Workflow was what I was trying to implement so understand Doricoā€™s approach. Itā€™s a very powerful functionality.

Thanks Romanos. Yes, I just want it to look like that image, nice and neat and concise. I understand getting there, the journey is worth the price.

Hmmmm, thanks Fred. I never considered audio exporting may play a role.
I will be shooting it out as a PDF to add to my PowerMusic Pro sheet music reading software, but I will want an mp3 for each key. Very important for working on intonation.

Interesting conversation, but Master Page Flow header talk as sexy as it is is a bit out of my current level of knowledge. It actually all sounds similar to web and SharePoint design. Hmm.

Are you referring to a concept similar to parent-child relationships?

Excellent

Also excellent.
I never thought my little exercise would spark such debate but through this I am picking up a lot!!!

This speaks to my suggestion that you will learn a lot by working through the process. It really is not that complex (and Iā€™m a 60+ learner).

For your specific project, just work your way through this tutorial: Tutorial: Creating a scales worksheet in Dorico ā€“ Dorico

All will become clear!!

I think Iā€™d rather keep calling it a Coda than start dealing with something called a flowette. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Aye. I am a 60+ learner as well. Itā€™s tough at the top eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks for the link!! BTW, is this link part of a Dorico tutorial series?