Proportional notation request

Of course. Sometimes deliberately I think! :slight_smile:

No notation prog will ever nail modernist, but some of the more common stuff that gets frequently requested would be good, such as aleatoric boxes, and the highly amusing case that exists in both baroque and modernist works (!!!) - being able to centre notes in a bar. Every little bit helps.

Nothing amusing about it! You’ll see that in plate engraving and other ‘analogue’ processes throughout the 19th and 20th century, even non-Modernist and non-Baroque stuff.

(Isn’t Modernism a bit old-fashioned now…? Even Post-modernism is passé… :rofl:)

If we started a thread on modernism, how many posts would it take before it became post-modern?

(sorry.)

You also have NoteAbilityPro, which is an incredible free software. Everything is possible with this one, and it is free. However, it runs only on macintosh, and has the problem of being quite unstable, but above all, no part linkage. But microtonality is native, and proportionality too.

(I worked 10 years on this one, which is great for composing, but horrible to do the professional edit… So I am just changing for Dorico)

I was wondering, is it possible to make the distance between note equal?
Like for instance having 8 semiquavers spaced equally?

Welcome, Samir

NoteAbilityPro was created back in the 90s by Prof. Keith Hamel. I only learnt about it recently, when writing an article about the history of computer notation. Whatever its merits, I’d suggest that now is not the time to jump on board.

Well, 8 semiquavers should normally be spaced equally! Do you mean the same distance after every note, whatever its duration, or do you want proportional notation.
Either should be broadly achievable, by setting the Spacing Ratio in Layout Options > Note Spacing to 2 (for proportional) or 1 for a constant distance.

As said, things like accidentals, barlines, etc may disrupt the spacing.

Yes I was searching this exactly! Thank you very much!
(What seems very nice with Dorico as well is the community around! Unfortunately, this does not exist with NAP (NoteAbilityPro), and I was pretty much the only one I know to use this software…)

I do agree, but the term “modernism” or in this case “modernists” doesn’t stop confusing me. For today, modernism in music happened roughly a century ago. Another definition (one that was thought to me at a German university) is that modernism is a way of thinking, so you can argue (and one professor did) that West Side Story and some songs by Hildegard von Bingen are modern in this sense, and their writers were modernists. I think all these cases are very much not moving targets. Weirdly enough, I still agree with you.