ProTools 11 announced

I’ve never warmed up to screen sets. Mostly I just want my key editor to snap to the bottom half of the screen, score editor snap into a quarter of the screen, Instrument Rack to snap into a corner. I’ll give screen sets another go. :unamused: :laughing:

Check out the metering

now that is very responsive metering unlike our sluggish c7 metering :wink:

Full retina display support, c7 fonts are so nasty looking on retina, just like placing a grunge low fi on the master output :imp:

As others have pointed out Pro Tools support is notoriously bad, and expensive. As a long time Sibelius user I’m also feeling let down by Avid as a company, so wouldn’t go near any of their other products.

Having been with Cubase for over 10 years, I’m also pretty hopeful that Steinberg will sort out the present difficulties with C7.

Shouldn’t this thread be in the Lounge? :unamused:

similar to the last one you started…

The extensive metering options (17 of them) is for Pro Tools 11HD users only.

It’s interesting that all the new PT features Mitch talks about are already in Cubase . .

Kind of like the “break thru” of “clips” in PT 10.

On a side note - I love the Gain Reduction meters in Cubase . . . but hear nothing about them and they don’t seem to be in the manual.

Maybe because you seem to be the only one having them…
What are those “gain reduction meters” you´re talking about…?

Really!

Wow. I feel special.
They sent me a custom copy of C7 and I didn’t even know it! :astonished:

Actually, they appear in the meter bridge as small red downward (as in reduction) meters on each channel when using any of the “strip” compressors.

Very useful to see at a glance how hard you’re hitting your comps.

haha :slight_smile:

That’s a cheap shot. Everyone who reads this will know that.
BTW, my wife is making a good recovery from her brain haemorrhage. So fu**ing sorry if I posted that to the wrong thread.

Peace out guys! This forum should be all about love and helping each other :S … If you want to fight or say mean stuff , go on Avid’s forum (I’m obviously kidding)

but seriously, I watched the Protools 11 video and listened to the 1 hour podcast and I laughed a lot.
Most of the features are brought up as if it was a revolution and something totally new … but most of them have been in cubase forever :S but Since I worked in a professional studio with Protools only, I noticed that a lot of Protools users don’t try other DAW and they almost act as if other DAW didn’t exist. I remember when one of the engeneers told me: “man the new protools is amazing! I can now work on my laptop without the need of an Avid hardware to run Protools :S” I obviously laughed. I started with Cool Edit Pro (now adobe audition) then switched to Protools, tried Ableton live (didn’t like it at all) and then switched to Cubase and man!! Cubase is paradise for me! Yes there are issues with Cubase 7 but nothing that makes me even think about going back to any other DAW.

The main reason why I participate a lot on this forum and I check it everyday is because I think Cubase is by far the best DAW out there and I want it to stay that way and the way to keep it that way is by pointing out issues, suggesting cool new features and helping each others.

Agree

I can understand PT users being thrilled by PT11’s new features.

They already have a preference for using Pro Tools, it’s their Tool of choice, so naturally they are thrilled to be getting the things others have had for some time, ADDED to the reasons they have already chosen PT over other DAW’s (even DAW’s that had these features years ago)

I can be pleased for them, in their world things just got a whole heap better.

PT11 HD has many things I would love to see in Cubase, and when Cubase get’s them (hopefully)
PT users won’t be saying “ha ha - we’ve had VCA’s for years” … well I hope they won’t be childish like that.

The fact remains if your a MIDI musician and don’t need universal session compatibility then Cubase really is a better solution than PT - IMHO.

For audio and session interchange I can see where PT has it’s fans.

Plus, I had a look in the back of a mobile truck recording the BBC philharmonic 80 piece orchestra
at the Royal Albert hall and it was a great big huge mega expensive PT HD Rig. Digital recorder and mixer on PCI-e cards.

Makes sense, one-off live event, 0% tolerence for pops or clicks.

I just didn’t expect to see Cubase 6 on Scan PC workstation with an RME interface!

What made me laugh about the podcast is not the fact that they added features that where in other DAW for years … but the fact that they present it as if they invented it and they say stuff like: “it was impossible before” instead of: “it was impossible in Protools before” :S

I feel that ASIO is an outdated technology as it was developed 20+ years ago (if I recall). I increasingly feel it’s Cubase’s downfall on the Mac and the reason for its instability on that platform.

Ah, ok never used any of the two…

How does MIDI feel?