Pure Acid and Cubasis 3 Issue

Hi,

I’m working on a song on Cubasis 3.13. On Wed 02 Dec 2020 I opened the project and Pure Acid baseline synths sound different. I checked the version history of Pure Acid and on Tue 1 Dec 2020, there was the 1.5.0 update that adds MIDI out to Pure Acid. I was lucky to contact the developer JimAudio to ask about the issue. I sent him two audio mixdowns: one from Monday 30 Nov 2020 and another from Wed 02 Dec 2020. The project was completely unopened/unedited between those days. (I can provide audio clips via DM if requested)

Jim answered me:

“I hear that pitch is changed up 7 semitones. also, slides absent in the second file. slides mean Gate knob has changed somehow”

I sent him the preset that I am using and he confirmed that there was no problem with the stand-alone App and no issues with Cubasis 2 either. I checked on my iPad and I can confirm there are no issues on Cubasis 2 and with the stand-alone Pure Acid App. Jim also note:

"it also not remembering knob values after closing Cubasis
seems like something wrong with Cubasis 3. In Cubasis 2 everything seems to work without problems
you can try to ask here about PA with Cubasis 3:
Pure Acid by Jim Audio!!! This is the best news ever!!! - Page 51 — Audiobus Forum> "

On that forum, other users are experiencing the same weird behavior:

“Anyone having weird issues with Cubasis 3 with PA? It seems very unstable, while Cubasis 2 works good.
Just fired it up for the 1st time. Air 3 latest OS.
Writing midi note data to Cubasis 3 accurately from sequencer. > Baseline synth controls are all way off > but I have no idea if this is right or wrong.
Drums write midi data accurately to Cubasis too.”

I don’t know if the issue has something related to the Known Issue “CBT-317 MIDI event changes are ignored during playback.

In that case, could I know when it’s expected to release the corresponding maintenance fix?

I’m very happy using Cubase 3 on my iPad. Feels like sci-fi to be able to work in a truly full-desktop environment while on the go or resting on the sofa; it’s game-changing. Despite the different stability issues I am currently experiencing and the considerable amount of bugs listed in the forums, I appreciate the potential of Cubasis 3 and I keep in mind that’s an early version written from scratch.

I encourage you to keep doing great work! :+1:

Hi Marcal_net,

Thanks for your message.

The next Cubasis update will be released in a few weeks from now, and includes many AU related performance improvements.
If possible, please recheck the issue with the new update and let us have your updated feedback.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi Lars,

I have updated to 3.2. and unfortunately, the MIDI issue with Pure Acid 1.5.0 is not fixed with the update. I read the list of 45+ improvements of the 3.2 and the Known Issue “ CBT-317 MIDI event changes are ignored during playback. ” is not listed there. I hope it will be included in the next maintenance update.

Audio Engine Latency FEEDBACK

Following with 3.2 update feedback, after reading the announcement of " Multicore-rendering and improved Audio Unit performance", I’m experiencing just the opposite: in my iPad Air 3 (2019), on the same track, while the CPU usage remains low, the DSP usage raised considerably from a 40-50% to an 80% with lots of cracking when playing.

I realised the issue is directly related to the “Audio Engine Latency” option. Switching OFF “Prevents crackling” and leaving the option as “Multi-core Rendering disabled” fixes the cracking.

As always, congratulations on the improvement work you do with Cubasis; I wish you could release a maintenance update in the short-term.

Hi Lars,

I have updated to 3.2. and unfortunately, the MIDI issue with Pure Acid 1.5.0 is still present with the update. I hope it will be included in the next maintenance update.
I really enjoy the improvements of the new version. Great work!

Hi Marcal_net,

Please let us have a detailed step report, and share the issue with the app vendor too.

Thanks
& stay well,
Lars