Q. How to select channels in hw mixers that lack iOS app?

Soundcraft Notepad 12FX supports 4x4 over USB. On Mac/Win there is a Control Panel app that lets you choose which 4 hw input channels you want to access via USB, from the list of mic/line inputs and main mix. I can find no way to configure this in iOS, so I’m stuck with what the iOS driver has out-of-the-box.

Is there some way to do this on iOS, either from Cubase, some other app, …? On Mac/Win, drivers and ASIO config are very hw specific, but I don’t know if the iOS ASIO equivalent layer has more hw agnostic capabilities like this.

I’m using an iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd gen.

thanks in advance,

– jdm

Hi @harmonicproductions,

Thank you for your message.

Please have a look at the recording chapter of our “Getting started with Cubasis” tutorial, to learn more about how routing is managed in the app:

Hope that helps!

Best wishes
& stay safe,
Lars

I’m sorry, I obviously didn’t provide enough context.

Yes, I already know how to select audio channels within Cubasis, out of the available channels provided by the driver And this is the crucial point: unlike dedicated audio interfaces, mixers with USB interfaces often provide only a small number of their input channels over USB. In the case of the Soundcraft Notepad 12FX mixer, it has 12 analog inputs, but only 4 USB input channels. On a Mac or PC, there is a little app that lets you choose which input channels (or output buss) you want for each of its 4 USB input channels.

This device is Class compliant, so iOS apps like Cubasis see 4 input and 4 output channels over USB, without any device-specific software. But that leaves the problem of seemingly no way to choose which of the mixer hardware’s channels are used for those 4 USB channels.

Perhaps this channel-choosing capability can only be provided by the hardware mfr, which would be too bad, as they don’t seem interested in doing so. But my hope, not knowing much about device drivers in iOS, is that the iOS driver for Class-compliant devices can do this - perhaps similarly to how one configures ASIO drivers on Mac/Win. There, you choose which hw channels are mapped to ASIO ports.

This problem isn’t unique to this particular mixer hardware; any mixer that has more physical inputs than USB channels is in the same boat.

Hi @harmonicproductions,

Thanks for your additional message.

I’d think to check back with Soundcraft about this topic.

Maybe they are able to provide a dedicated mobile app for their class compliant audio devices, allowing to make further settings.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars

Yes, I tried contacting Soundcraft, but they’re MIA, apparently.

I was hoping someone with knowledge of the Class-Compliant API would know where this sort of thing were possible generically, similar to what Mac’s “Audio MIDI Setup” does, but for iOS…

Hi @harmonicproductions,

Thanks for your message.

Our own UR audio device series comes with a dedicated iOS setup app (‎dspMixFx UR-C im App Store), other hardware manufactures might have solutions as well.

Again, I’d suggest to check back with Soundcraft who might have an answer for you…

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars