Quantisation not selectable in Key-Editor

Hello,

I am using Cubase 11 pro - and i realized a few days ago that I am no longer able to select Quantization in Key-Editor. The Drop-Down Box is just deactivated/greyed out.

As I am sure it worked after update of 11.0.20 - It seems like I changed some settings somewhere. Does someone know how to reenable this?

Thanks!

Ok - I solved the problem - but I am not sure if it is a feature or a bug - I guess it is a bug :wink:

After playing around with the Primary Timeformat and switching it a few times -
the Drop Down Box is enabled again.

1 Like

Hi,

It’s not a bug, it’s like this since ever. When you set the Primary Time Display to other value but Bars+Beats, the “Grid” appears in the Quantize Preset. You cannot open it, because in the Key Editor. You cannot snap to the time values (same you can do in the Project window), you can snap to the grid only. But you can still quantize. Open the Quantize Panel and make the settings.

2 Likes

This was fixed by choosing a random value for Primary Time Display and then reselecting Bars + Beats (where it had already previously been). The disappearance of the Quantization options from the Key Editor happened out of the blue. Thanks for insight into how to return the options, but it is obviously a bug.

1 Like

I was just about to post something similar about Cubase 12.0.4

Out of nowhere I got the same issue where the quantize value in the key editor was greyed out and the quantize display was locked even if I changed quantize values in the arrangement window. The key editor was also stuck on adaptive zoom. Switching away from “bars and beats” and back to it fixed the key editor issue.

Strange bug I guess? I’ve never run into this in almost 20 years on Cubase.

Here’s images of the issue before and after I switched the time format back and forth to the default “bars + beats”.

Top image is after the fix. Bottom image is the bug/problem.

1 Like

Hi,

The upper part is the arranger area (and its own grid settings), the bottom part is the editor area (and its own grid settings). They are not in sync until you sync these two views.

Hi Martin

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, but this issue popped up out of the blue just as the other user said. This was on C12 on a relatively new system, no default sync settings between arranger and key editor changed - unless I hit something on accident, as I don’t even know how to decouple the grid quantize values between the two. I downloaded C11 to check and things behaved as expected.

Also, applying this fix to an empty project resolved the same issue I was having with prior projects I had started on C12. Wouldn’t any sync/unsync settings between the arranger and key editor be saved per project?

Again, as the other user suggested, all I did was change the time format display from the default “bars + beats” to another option in that menu then back to “bars + beats”. And this resynced the arrange and key editor windows and allowed me to control the quantize value from the key editor again. It also unlocked the “+/-” symbol for adaptive zoom settings - this is also greyed out in the problem image.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Jae

1 Like

Hi Martin and others,
I found the reason for that “unwanted” behaviour. It is a coincidence of two settings.
a) Setting the Primary Time Display to anything other then Bars+Beats.
b) Setting Ruler Display Format (right click on the ruler in event part) to anything other then then Bars+Beats.
Or seeing it vice versa, the “greyed out Grid” appears in the Quantize Preset, when neither Primary Time Display nor Ruler Display Format has Bars+Beats.

So have at least one of this set to Bars+Beats and you will have 1/4, 1/8 etc. available in Quantize menu.

2 Likes

So have at least one of this set to Bars+Beats and you will have 1/4, 1/8 etc. available in Quantize menu.

That solution works for us, thank you!

For me this bug appeared without touching the Select Primary Time Format or any Ruler settings. Last thing I did was edit the Tempo Map with the Time Warp in the Key Editor.

I use the Key Editor exclusively in full screen and nothing I could do in that view remedied the situation. When I found this thread and saw Blacklion’s screenshots, I tried to toggle the Primary Timeformat with the Lower Zone Key Editor open and that suddenly unlocked the Quantize Presets dropdown.

So to reiterate several people here, definitely a bug. Stopped my work dead in its tracks for half an hour. Not elated.

I’m on Nuendo 12.0.60.

Great AACherokee and thanks for the solution. Good I did a search before asking the same question. These things can really drive you mad because it suddenly stops working and you have no idea why?