Quartolet

Hi,
I would to write a 4:4 tuplet in a 6/8 measure but I can’t do it. Is it possible ?
Thank you for your help.
Olivier Delente

It is absolutely possible. I think you want to input four 8th notes in the place of 6. When in input mode (caret on), select the 8th note value, put tuplet mode on (on my keyboard, this would be the “=” key), write 4:6 in the popover, input your four 8ths notes and turn the tuplet mode off (shift =) or escape input mode.

I was always led to believe that in a tuplet ratio the second number always ought to be smaller than the first.

So, if the OP really wants 4 equal notes in the space of 6 eighths, he ought to use a ratio of 4:3 and then enter 3 other quarter notes.

I suspect, though, he wants 4 equal notes in the space of 3 eighths, in which case he would use a ratio of 4:3 and enter 3 other eighth notes.

Rkrentzman said: I was always led to believe that in a tuplet ratio the second number always ought to be smaller than the first.

That’s the rule I was taught also, but with two common exceptions. 7:8 and 2:3. And less commonly 15:16. It’s my understanding that those types of situations are the only exceptions to the ‘rule’ you refer to.

I think it should also be pointed out that there is no such thing as a 4:4 tuplet. Such a ‘ratio’ wouldn’t need a tuplet at all.

Thank you for your help. I have succeeded to write four notes instead of three but there are four doted semi quavers and I would like to write four quavers with a bracket and the number 4 . I am not sure to be very clear, sorry.

I feel now you’re being quite clear. With a crotchet value active, open the Tuplet popover and write 4:3.

Now i have succeeded.
Thank you!