Question about C7 -> Halion SE Integration

Hi there,

This is my 1st post and I’m a proud new owner of C7 and I love it - its utterly awesome! :smiley: Anyway I just had a question and I’m sorry if it sounds stupid :blush: but I’m just working my way through Halion SE currently and I’m a little confused by something so I wondered if anyone out there could shed some light on the matter!

Basically, if you create an instrument track and load up Halion SE into it and then select a preset (for example ‘Cinematic Strings’) then look in the ‘Quick Control’ section of the instrument there are a couple of pots for tweaking ‘Reverb Pre Delay’ and ‘Reverb Mix’. These appear to be hooked up to a Reverb effect processor (somewhere!?) from listening to and tweaking them.

However, my question is where is this mysterious ‘Reverb’ effects processor that these ‘Quick Controls’ refer to; and how do you access its control surface/other parameters (i.e. reverb type, EQ, on/off etc) because I presumed that as part of the Halion SE preset (i.e ‘Cinematic Strings’) it just automatically loaded a default effect into the Halion SE effects sends (AUX1~4) but they are all empty by default!? :open_mouth:

… so this made me wonder if these Quick Control pots were referring to a general VST plug in elsewhere in the channel strip which had been loaded up automatically (which would be a weird thing to do anyway)… but after checking the channel FX inserts/sends - they appear to be empty as well… mmmm :confused:

So I’m confused as hell, where is this mystery Reverb at? It made me wonder if its basically hidden inside the instrument patch itself (because Halion SE is just a player as opposed to Halion full version)? :bulb:

Anyway another theory was that its merely a placeholder effect which is overridden when you actually add an effect in Halion SE, but this didn’t make sense either as the controls still persist and if you actually add a reverb say to AUX 1) when you twiddle the Quick Control, its neighboring parameter in the effect window does not update either, so it appears its independent from this as well… :unamused:

Well that’s me :cry: I’m afraid I’m clueless at this stage - is it hidden and protected within the patch? If anyone can help solve this mystery I would sure appreciate it! Its just that if there is reverb I want to either be able to control it fully or remove it altogether and replace it with something more specific, which I can not do currently, but hopefully its just something simple I didn’t see! :laughing:

Big hello to you all and mucho thanks in advance :wink: Kat

Dam…

I hoped someone out there might have an answer to this inky issue, but it seems everyone else is as stumped as me when it comes to Halion SE’s invisible Reverb FX unit! :cry:

Through some further playing around I’ve discovered how to set up Halion SE for multitrack recording from a single instance (great) but that pesky reverb is still annoying the hell out of me so I guess the thing to do is to contact support and ask one of the steinberg team responsible for Halion’s development which will hopefully allow me to find an answer!

I’ll be sure to post the result here anyway so that anyone else who gets confused by this can find an answer through searching the forum! :nerd:

No answer, but I will gladly add to the confusion. When you use the button to bypass the insert effects, the program’s reverb is muted.

Hi there, thanks for your reply! :slight_smile:

When I tried what you said it had no effect on the patch that I was using, however, I appreciate your response as its allowed me to realize that these effects seem to be nested in the patch itself and can’t be accessed directly which became more apparent through setting up Halion SE for multitrack recording as some of the instruments have more or less FX quick controls etc.

It doesn’t help that I’m unfamiliar with Halion, but having spent a little time reading up on the Halion 4 (which allows you to create/edit patches) it makes a little more sense - the SE version is purposely very limited.

However, its a shame they didn’t just exclude the effects from the SE patches and allow you to add your own as things like reverb are CPU heavy so its a bit redundant to have a processor on in the back ground turned down so that you can replace it with one that you can control, but I guess its a freebie so you can’t complain! :laughing:

Macro pages are available to edit programs/layers.

The “Effects” page is for Aux effects, sort of like the old hardware workstation equivalents. These Aux effects are available to the entire Multi Program (all 16 programs) and any programs can be routed to any of the Aux effects using the “Mix” page and is not for editing of the program/layer effects (such as the ones asked about by the OP).

The programs have loads of additional parameters that cannot be directly edited in HSSE.

The QCs can be used to control parameters in a program. These QC controllers are like inputs to the instrument, which in turn can route those to parameters that you choose. Check out the inspector of an Instrument Track or a MIDI Track, and you’ll see the Quick Controls section (if it is not visible, then right click in the inspector and check QC). These controls route directly to the instruments QC inputs.

Hi Elektrobolt and thanks for your reply,

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a heads up on how HSSE works, and that explains why I couldn’t find the source of the effects processor! :blush: I have to say I like the look of Halion a lot and I worked my way through all the video material on Steinberg and its capable of some awesome sounds - its certainly on my wishlist!

Thanks again for your help much appreciated! :slight_smile: Kat

No worries, mate.

Yeah, HALion 4 is very cool. Once you get used to the structure of it and the “workflow”, it’s bloody brilliant. :slight_smile:

I have a contrabass part going where I wanted to remove all reverb, as it’s just playing along with an analog bass in a techno song, but I noticed after I’d removed the reverb from the legato articulation, that it’s still there in the staccato articulation and I haven’t yet found a way to remove it.

I was having problems with notes not playing after a time in 7.5 in SE.

That seems to have quit. I was reading make one instance then keep adding more tracks using different midi channels from that one instance. Then making each track have it’s own audio output from SE so inserts could be used for individual channels.

Keep doing that until your computer gags.

Then back off a bit.