Question about Cubase 8 upgrade and e licenser

I have been updating to the latest version of Cubase with each new release, and recently purchased the upgrade from Cubase 7.5 to 8.
However, I have 6, 7 and 7.5 installed on a Core 2 Duo Windows 7 computer that I don’t use as my main studio computer. The main studio computer is my HP dual AMD Opteron CPU workstation running Cubase 5.5. A new workstation computer to run the latest, Win 7 compatible version of Cubase on is not yet in the budget.
Nonetheless, I was looking forward to trying some recording and mixing on Cubase 8 on the Win 7 computer to see what I could do before maxing it out.

Then I saw this on http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html:

Supported operating systems:
Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows 8 (32/64-bit), Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 or 4.5 is required!

So now, am I right in understanding that someone running Cubase 5.5 cannot activate Cubase 8 on another computer because upon inserting the e licenser key back in the Win XP computer, it will want to have the latest version of the e licenser software installed in order to recognize the Cubase license, which it will not be able to install, rendering the Win XP computer inoperable for purposes of recording and mixing? :astonished:

My initial idea for a workaround was to load the Cubase 8 license to a second e licenser, and leave what’s on the e licenser I’ve been using completely alone. I have a couple of extra e licensers I got years ago and have never used. But I saw that the Cubase license on my e licenser is for 7.5, and it must also allow previous versions to operate. So no way to put the Cubase 8 license on a separate e licenser, unless I buy another copy of Cubase with a second license.
And yes, I did realize later that my workaround would be viewed as running two licenses or two copies of Cubase, though in fact I would never be running both computers simultaneously.

So back to my question: If I activate the Cubase 8 license on my e licenser, am I locked out of launching Cubase 5.5 on my XP computer?

Hi That70srocker,

all you have to do is install this version of eLC on your XP computer http://www.elicenser.net/en/download_archives.html and then run the Maintenance tasks (you need an internet connection for that). This will update the license database of the eLC on the XP machine, so that the Cubase Pro 8 license can be read and you can open Cubase 5 on that machine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Luis.
After posting this, I ran into an issue with the Windows 7 computer being unable to start Windows now, which may require reinstalling Windows 7 (I have tried running System Repair), so I haven’t been able to go any further with this.
But that’s a computer/Windows issue.
Thanks for settling the question of whether I can update to Cubase 8 and still run Cubase 5.5 on XP. Right now that machine running Cubase 5.5 on XP Pro is the only way I can do any recording or mixing.