Question about switching Drum Sets to Groove Agent

Hello,

I just bought Dorico 5 for myself and I’m really excited to use Groove Agent. I’m not finding the option to switch over an existing Drum Set player to Groove Agent, though… This may be a silly question, but how do I do that? :sweat_smile:

• John

There are now some extra playback configurations including Groove Agent SE, so the simplest way is probably to open your file and then apply one of the playback configurations that includes “GASE” in the name.

Oh, like with Playback Templates? Is there any way I can apply a new Playback Template without changing the rest of my instrument’s samples…?

Ah, if you’ve already heavily customised your playback rack and don’t want to re-create those settings then applying a new Playback Template probably isn’t the best idea. The alternative, then, would be:

• add a new entry to the rack of VSTs in Play mode
  • load Groove Agent SE into that
  • use the Track Inspector to route your existing Drum Set to Groove Agent in the rack
  • change the Drum Set to use the “Groove Agent SE Studio Kit” percussion map
1 Like

Oh! That did the trick; that’s much simpler than I thought it would be. Thank you so much!!

The one thing to watch out for is that I think by default Groove Agent SE uses the same channel both for pattern triggers and for instrument triggers (I am not a GASE expert but I believe that is correct). You may want to set the pattern triggers to receive on a different MIDI channel if this is a problem.

This won’t happen if you are using one of the “GASE” playback configurations because it is set up automatically, but if you are loading GASE from scratch then it can occur.