question about UR-22 monitoring

Is it mono or stereo direct monitoring? thanks

Some user of the ur-22 posted this

after purchasing (from a local retailer) I found out that the front inputs are mono. They are only stereo selectable if recording with a hard pan left and right and then playing it back in stereo. You cannot direct monitor in stereo. Needless to say my keyboard comes out in mono only through the interface when direct monitoring.

Is it true? Can someone confirm this before i buy it?

Yes. It’s true.

You can record stereo and it will playback ok, but the hardware direct monitoring is mono.

So any stereo source like digital keyboard will sound a bit weird while direct monitoring.

Shame it doesn’t have a mono/stereo switch for monitoring.
Apart from that it’s a very decent interface in its price range.

Thank you for the answer! So that means that when i play with my synth or with any vst it will sound like mono unless i record it??

Thats a shame…

So that means that when i play with my synth or with any vst it will sound like mono unless i record it??

No.

Anything that comes from your Daw/computer will sound ok. (VSTi)

It refers to hardware direct monitoring only (microphones, digital keyboard, whatever you connect to your to inputs).

That’s when you monitor your inputs before the signal gets to your computer. Depending on what you do, you may not need this at all. If you play a vst synth, the signal comes from your Daw so hardware direct monitoring is irrelevant in this case.

The only difference it makes if you want to record a stereo instrument, like digital piano which you connect to your two inputs on your interface and choose to use the hardware monitoring.

But if you are ok with the latency you get monitoring through your daw and turn the mix knob fully to daw, then it sounds ok