[Question] - Bracketed dynamics

Is there a way to add a bracket to dynamics? I am working on a score that has them, and can’t seem to get the brackets ([ , ]) to work.

Robby

So far you will likely have to use the text tool to add brackets to each dynamic.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that might be the case. It would be nice if the Dynamic popover handled brackets.

Robby

You can add the brackets as prefix and suffix to the dynamic in the properties panel.

And if you want round brackets ( ), there is a special option for this in the properties panel.

WOW!!! Did not know that! Thanks!

Works perfectly!!

Robby

HeiPet,

thanks for your suggestion, it does work.
Though I will get brackets in italic:

This is, how it would look without them being italic:

[ f ].png
[f].png

Damn, I knew you would ask for that … :slight_smile:

You can change the Font Style for the ‘Dynamic Text Font’ in Engrave Mode to regular. But this will perhaps change some other text as well, depending on your piece of music …

Does anybody happen to know why I can’t input the bracket in the suffix and prefix boxes? I can input normal and curly parenthesis, but not the square ones.
I can write them elsewhere and copy them into the boxes with the expected result, but not enter them directly.
I’m on a Danish keyboard using Alt-8 and Alt-9 to create the characters in question.

I think that, apart from having the “parentesized” option for the dynamics, it would be very nice to have another one for the square brackets. Many Urtext editions use the bracket to suggest dynamics that are not included in the original text.

I’m sure the development team are aware. That said, I hardly think the production of Urtext editions is a core focus of the Dorico user base, though doubtless there will be some who would find it useful.

Well, I think the core focus of Finale’s user base was also not Urtexts editions. However, If I remember correctly, Bärenreiter Edition uses a special version of Finale.
So, if Dorico wants to win some markets, it would be nice to have more features. I’m sure it wont hurt.

As I said… I’m sure the development team are aware… and they will make their choices.

Coming back to this topic : is it any plans to introduce this feature, to be able to use square bracket for dynamics?? Now you can change that from music symbols but only for hairpins (strange enough) but not for dynamics. Could we have that in the future?

2 Likes

It’s on the list for future implementation, yes.

1 Like