Question on PitchCorrect plug-in vs. Variaudio

The PitchCorrect plug-in (page 38 of the plug-in manual) has a control called “Correction Speed” that controls how quickly the pitch is corrected. Does VariAudio offer the same ability to control the speed of the correction?

What role do you guys see for PitchCorrect alongside VariAudio?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Dont know about pitch correct as I’ve never used it.
But I do use variaudio and autotune together, I find it works rather well as nether has to work too hard to pull the pitch back.

We are talking slight retune stuff?

Hi, Split, appreciated as always!

Well, within 100 cents, slight in the big scheme of things … depending on your perspective!

It’s a very powerful control. If you’d like to see an example, you can youtube the term “Cubase 6 pitch correction”, and there’s one (currently) near the top by winchellproductions with “…T-Pain Style…” in the title. Not that I know who that is or care, and not that I want the Cher-effect, but it looks like it does give an added bit of control that I’m not sure I find in VariAudio.

[Edit: found a Steinberg example of Pitch Shift as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0N_bNp4cv4 (starting at 2:32)]

Thanks again!

Yeah, I think using the two together… well it works for me :stuck_out_tongue:

I must give the Cubase pitch correct a go sometime.

100 cents, I’d call that big. Would mean the singer totally missed the note :laughing:

In my world, it happens! Anyway, meaning not 3rds or 5ths for harmony generation.

By the way, when you use VariAudio and Autotune together - do you bounce before applying the 2nd process? Do you favor a consistent order (e.g., always VariAudio first, or vice versa)?

I would usually have Autotune running on a track with what I would call a loose setting, that is a slow retune rate, when/if I hear an off note, I will cut the track around the offending bit and use variaudio untill I’m happy with the result then flatten the bit. This is all done with Autotune running live. Once I’m happy with everything I quite often then apply the autotune to the track as well, just before mixdown.

This of course assumes it needs it :smiley:

OK, thanks for that, Split. Much appreciated!

Mind, it’s only the way I do it sometimes, but if I think it needs it, I find the combination works well to retune and avoid the nastier artifacts of either process that sometimes occur.

Thanks for that video on the pitch correction plugin, I never figured out how to use that :slight_smile:

I was under the impression that PC was a live -on the way in- correction tool similar in some way to autotune. :confused:

I noticed no-one answered your question.

Yes, you can change the speed at which vari-audio follows the pitch. Although it’s not really like that, what you do is change the steepness of the corrected curve…

In fact this is one of the features of Vari-audio which is better than Melodyne because you can actually edit the final pitch curve with a greater degree of control.

So, to edit the pitch curve, first set to Pitch&Warp, then hover your mouse over the top of the chunk, you will see a dark thick line across the top of the chunk, and somewhere along it you will see a single thin vertical which divides the chunk into two. This vertical line is like the fulcrum, and when you adjust the curve then the part of the curve at that line doesn’t move. So, just click while hovering to change the vertical line position. Then, to adjust the curve, hover over the top left or top right of the chunk until the cursor changes to up/down arrows, then left click and drag up or down. The curve will move, and you will also see the orig pitch curve for reference. In this way you can change the curve steepness, change the fulcrum position many times over and adjust the pitch curve specifically how you’d like it. I quite often use this method to create a believable slide into and out of a note which I’ve ‘straightened’ to hell.

Mike.

Hello Mike - thanks very much for that!

I had considered trying to do it this way, but (erroneously, as it turns out) decided it would be more for pitch changes in the main body of the segments, rather than the pitch curve leading into it. I will get back and give it a go, hopefully tonight -

Thanks again!