Question: Recording over existing track

Hi all,

I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out with no luck! Here’s the scenario:

*I record 1 audio track
*I want to go back and “add” to the existing track (overlap) while still hearing the original recording. What happens now is it allows me to record but the original recording is MUTED.

• I prefer not to have several lines of audio (takes?). I want it to be contained on one track.

I’ve tried messing with mix, overwrite, etc and have not been successful.

Please help!

Thanks,
Paul

At the drop in cubase will switch to input monitoring, so you can´t hear both, input and already recorded audio, unless you use a second track, or you use your interface´s monitoring options if available.

At the drop in cubase will switch to input monitoring, so you can´t hear both, input and already recorded audio, unless you use a second track, or you use your interface´s monitoring options if available.

Thanks for your quick response! I guess I’m not clear on what you’re saying. What do you mean by “At the drop”? Also, are you saying that if I disable the input monitoring then I should be able to hear the original recording while recording over the existing track? I don’t think I had the input monitoring turned on but I’ll double check it when I get home.

Again, I’m trying to accomplish this by using 1 track but it sounds like that’s not possible. Please confirm

Thanks,
Paul

As said already you can´t accomplish it by using 1 track, Cubase will only plaback one audio “file / signal” on one track at a time. That is either the already recorded file, or the one you are recording at the moment.

pjwr2004 wrote:
I guess I’m not clear on what you’re saying. What do you mean by “At the drop”?

"Drop in is the point when you drop into recording from playback mode.
pjwr2004 wrote:
Also, are you saying that if I disable the input monitoring then I should be able to hear the original recording while recording over the existing track?

Usually you can´t record the input, if the input monitor is not switched on. so no that´s not what I´m saying
pjwr2004 wrote:
Again, I’m trying to accomplish this by using 1 track but it sounds like that’s not possible. Please confirm

As said already you can´t accomplish it by using 1 track, Cubase will only plaback one audio “file / signal” on one track at a time. That is either the already recorded file, or the one you are recording at the moment.

Thanks for clearing that up :smiley: . A couple more questions and I’ll leave you alone. Since I can’t record on the same track, I will create a “duplicate” track and record on that track. When done, I will merge the audio data with the original track and then delete the track I created to clean up the clutter. Would this be your recommended approach? If not, what would you do? It is apparent that you’re a Cubase GURU! Thanks so much for your continued help!

In general and most of the time - probably yes.
Depends on the situation and what is actually necessary in any given situation.