Question to Vienna Ensemble Pro Users

Hi there. Is there a way to mute and unmute channels in ensemble pro via expression map? What I have done:
Built a string section that consists of two small sections. I would like a setup, that allows me to mute one channel, when divisi are played and unmute a third channel, that is a copy of the second channel but on another midi channel.

Maybe there would be another way to accomplish that (change MIDI channel on the second string section for example).

Love
Matthias

Yes, there should be. VE Pro allows you to map MIDI CC’s to VST automation parameters through the automation section. I use this to allow controlling the Sordina v2 mute emulator using Dorico expression maps, the CC values get translated to VST parameters.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast response. Do I understand it right, that I can send a cc, that unmutes one channel in ve pro and mutes another? And can that be assigned in Dorico in the expression maps?

Yes, you probably can’t use the same CC to unmute one channel and mute the other though. Likely you’ll need to use two CC’s.

1 Like

Thank you once again for your reply and your time. Where in the manual can I find more information about how to do that?

I accomplish this by enabling enable independent voice playback where voice 1 stems up is ‘tutti’, voice 2 stems up and voice 1 stems down map to two chamber sized slots for divided passages. Of course that accommodates a particular notation of divisi.

1 Like

https://www.vsl.info/en/manuals/vep7/parameter-automation

The MIDI Controllers tab specifically.

1 Like

The method that @winknotes suggests is better if the libraries are not an exact match - for instance something like VSL Elite Chamber Strings and VSL Duality Strings, which use different keyswitches.

I should mention I use this with NPPE and it works quite well but the libraries behind it are synchron strings pro and two instances of elite strings. I had t noticed whether you can set individual expression maps for each layer?

Yes, when running the libraries directly from Dorico, the independent voices in the independent voice playback can use different expression maps. So they could be completely different libraries, theoretically.

The idea is good with essentially 3 patches. I use SWAM sections. Here I build one section of 6 plus 5 players. in divisi it sounds very consistent. So the Idea was to mute the 5 player section during divisi passages and duplicate them to a lane in independent playback.
I wonder if that can be automated with Dorico. So whenever I open a divisi stave, the one section gets muted and the copy activated without having to do anything more

I investigated a little more in VE pro. And as far as I can see, even the change of a midi channel could be automated. But can

Paging @FredGUnn. You’re VEP right?

1 Like

Can I ask? First of all clarification. Are you (OP) talking about muting the channel as an audio engineering concept, or raising and lowering channels that have open and muted instruments on them?

Second, which instruments specifically are you using? For example, Duality Strings, Dimension Strings among VSL products, and who knows what else besides.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I want to mute the channel.

I use SWAM strings. I built one section with two instances both routed to the same midi channel. In divisi I want to split them up. Either way by changing the midi channel of the second instance or by muting it and unmute a copy of it on another midi channel.

By now I know this is technically possible. But I wonder if it can be set in Dorico, that it happens automatically when divisi is activated

OK.

• In VEPro, you would set up an automation for Mute and associate it with a cc that isn’t used elsewhere.
  • Set up a Playback technique for Divisi, which I’d suggest be something that doesn’t clash with Dorico’s usage, which doesn’t include a playback technique as such. I use group 1/group 2. You may also need to create a Tutti.
  • Then in your Dorico XP map you would need to add a line that sets that cc on or off as required.
2 Likes

GREAT!!! Thanks a lot! I will try this

The only thing you’ll need to watch out for is that the act of muting or unmuting could cause a sudden “pop” sound as sound suddenly is cut off or starts up without a fade out/in.