Questions about 4.3 generating notes from chord symbols

I’m very excited about this new feature in 4.3, and I’m just starting to experiment with it. A couple of questions after my first attempt:

• Is there a way to tell the feature that I don’t want to include the root of the chord in the generated voicings? Generally I figure that in jazz contexts the bass will cover the root so the other instruments don’t need to.
  • The chart I started with had a few 7b9 chords, and the feature voiced them with the b9 on the bottom, which I think most humans would generally not do. Is there a way to tell Dorico to not do that?
1 Like
  1. There isn’t a way to tell the feature not to use the bass note at all, but if you haven’t assigned any instruments to the list of “Bass note instruments” in the dialog then it may or may not put the bass note at the bottom of the voicing, depending on what it considers to make the strongest voicing/best voice leading.

2. It would be interesting to see the chart. I don’t think there is a way of doing this directly, although in Note Input Options you can set the lowest pitch that will be assigned to a flat ninth and that might well achieve the same effect.

If not assigning the bass notes was really important, I expect one could add a dummy track to the score, assign bass notes to the dummy track, and then delete it later.

1 Like

Thanks! I added an Upright Bass player and regenerated the voicings, and that helped.