Questions about clipping in general (not Cubase specific)

I’m having a maddening issue with my Cubase 6.5 master bus showing clipping when I apply mastering effects (Ozone5). Last in line in ozone is their Maximizer. I’ve got the threshold margin at -0.3db, but I’m getting the occasional clip in the master bus. So as a quick fix I put the stock Cubase limiter after Ozone in my master bus, and set that to -0.3db, and I still get clipping. I’m not getting clipping without mastering effects. But when I set a limiter last in the bus, nothing should go through that, even if I’m over squashing the crap out of everything, which I am not. So this is maddening, as I’m trying to maximize my mix to -11db average (standard practice) but I can’t prevent clips. And even more confusing, the clip happens at a point when there isn’t something like a snare hit or a loud vice or an acoustic guitar transient. It’s between drum hits and singing.

Driving me crazy! IS there some weird thing about the Cubase master bus showing ghost overages?

Have you per chance got your output meter set to pre rather than post?

My output meter on Cubase, or Ozone? Where do I check that?

Rightclick somewhere down on the masterbus in Cubase mixer and choose the postfader or postpan option

Here’s a video showing what’s happening, even though Ozone isn’t peaking beyond -2db.

That´s quite obviously not true - you have the channel EQ in the master bus, which is “last in the bus”, neither Ozone, nor the limiter are.
Basic signal flow, well documented in the manual.
As adivised by Jaslsn already in your other thread already…

I would say take a look at the mixer diagrams on page 169 in the OP Manual and see if you are doing something after the compressor. For example, if you compress in the 1st insert slot and then EQ, you could be adding extra decibels.
Remember that inserts 7&8 are AFTER the level and EQ.
HTH
J.L.

OK, the EQ is last, but I’m only pulling out some low frequencies, not adding anything. Where is the 2db of gain coming from?

From phase shifts or resonances, that can be caused by filters. Switch it off and surely everything is as it should be (or switch the Limiter last, instead of the EQ…)

That was it thinkingcap! You’re a genius. I took out the EQ and all my meters were accurate to what Ozone says. But it’s odd still that pulling out a freq causes a peak somewhere else. That shouldn’t happen. Anyways, I’m happy now. Thank you so much.

Yes it should!

As I understand, with frequencies, taking off something is going to enhance something elsewhere along the line.