Questions about Dorico's Channel Strips and Channels

What does the line to the right of the slider represent:
Is its value / position adjustable? For instance, could I globally set it to -6db?

Is it possible to apply the same plugin to multiple channel strips simultaneously?

Suggestion to make adding insert plugins easier:
Allow sorting by key stroke. For instance, if I want to get to one of my Native Instruments plugins quickly, I would type N to get to that part of the list. Pressing tab would allow the same keystroke navigation in the resultant sublist, when necessary.

The line to the right of the fader is just a meter for the output volume.

You can change the default output for future projects in Preferences > Play.

That makes sense, except I never see the line move, regardless of fader setting or midi volume adjustments.

The line to the right of the fader represents 0dB. You cannot move that line.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding this, but my experience seems to differ. I’ve attached a simple one bar file with a single instrument.

Here is what I’m seeing when the fader is at 0 db, (apparently).

Perhaps the center of the fader represents a good sweet spot to aim for, if one wants to avoid clipping. (approximately -6db?)
Fader example.dorico (558.6 KB)

Just to make it clear : there’s no visual link between the fader and the level meter next to it.
On your picture, the fader is at 0dB, meaning it does not apply any amplification (positive or negative). And the level meter is showing that no signal is going through.
The level meter is supposed to give an indication of a signal level. This is a really complicated stuff — I don’t know what your background is in sound engineering, but there are soooooo many flavours of level measuring… and I have no clue about the one that’s been chosen by the Dorico Team. I think we can exclude dBFS out (or any kind of measurement that would mean that above 0dBxx where xx is the kind of measurement chosen is audio clipping hard).
I suppose it mimics the measurement there used to be on analog mixing desks, where the unit chosen as a 0 VU was an electric value with enough headroom to be usable and high enough so that the noise floor is not to high when it builds up.
In any case, if your project has few instruments in it, make sure your high levels are close to that line. If you have lots of instruments, make sure they reach lower levels (-6dB?). The important thing is that the sum (the level shown for the master bus) stays around that 0 line.
Hope it helps!

Here is some documentation about sound levels and measurements… for those who would like to dive into this :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you, Marc.

Since I normally aim to keep the maximum output from all my audio tracks around -6 dbFS, I guess I can use the line in the center of the fader as a rough approximation. (I’m probably describing that wrong ;-), I’m sure this will make more sense to me as I dive further into Dorico.

I appreciate the detailed insights you have provided, as well as the documentation about sound levels and measurements. That’s truly useful information, as well.

1 Like

That’s cool and reasonable but doesn’t make you completely safe. Two things - your audio interface is sampling at least 44 thousand times per second, and your eyes couldn’t see any quick excursions even if the meters were updating that fast. Second, when you add the different instrument parts together, you know how waves at the beach can interact?

Running the Dorico Supervision plugin or similar as the last thing on the master bus with “true peak” enabled will help notify you of those too fast to see or unexpected peaks.

2 Likes