Questions about six pesky issues

I’m working on a large project - here are some things I’ve noticed. Maybe there are ways to fix these globally that I’m not aware of? Thanks for any help.

1. In a metronome marking, the “approximate” sign is smaller than the “equal” sign. Can the “approximate” sign be bigger? It doesn’t look so bad in this screen shot, but when it prints, the “approximate” sign is quite a bit smaller.
    AppoximateSignIsSmall

2. I have a project with 25 movements: Rehearsal Letters and Tempo Markings often collide with the title or header.
    ColidingWithTitle

3. Hyphen colliding with its word at the end of a system.
    HyphenCollidingAtEndOfSystem

4. Slur directions work great except for one circumstance (see frowny face)

5. Text sometimes runs off the right side of the page which then doesn’t print because it’s outside of the margin.
    TextOffTheRightEdge

6. In melismatic passages, where a word is sung over more than one note, the word extenders work great. However, when an edit is made to the music so that the word no longer is sung over more than one note, the word extender doesn’t auto-correct. Same thing in reverse: when a word corresponds to only one note and then an edit is made to the music so that the word is sung over more than one note, the word extender doesn’t auto-correct.
    WordExtenderAfterChangingNotesIssue

1. There’s no way to change the size of the “approximately equals” sign without affecting lots of other things. It’s simply a Unicode character (U+2248), but it’s taken from the font chosen for the Metronome Text Font font style, so if you change that, you’ll also change the font used for the regular equals sign and the digits that follow. If you get into a real pickle, you can always hide the real tempo mark via Properties and add a system-attached text item that masquerades as a tempo with an appropriately fiddled-with approximately equals sign.

2. There’s no way to resolve this collision automatically such that the first system will be close to the flow heading if there are no items above the first system but pushed away if there are not. Provided you don’t have lots of very short flows on the same page in the parts, you could have separate flow headings with more space below the title and use a flow heading change for that page to use the more padded flow heading, which will have the effect of pushing the first system further away.

3. Unfortunately there’s no automatic remedy for this. It’s something we certainly plan to address in future, but I can’t say when it will happen.

4. Again, there’s no automatic remedy for that situation, and again, it’s something we expect to improve further in future versions.

5. Again, no automatic remedy here, either. I think in the specific situation you show here, it would be preferable to add a system break at the double barline, so the rehearsal mark and tempo change are at the start of the following system, where they will be more easily spotted by the players in any case.

6. Lyrics are not tied directly to the presence or duration of notes, so they do not at present get edited when changes are made to the notes that were present when they were themselves created. It’s not a simple thing to change, and I’m not sure in general that I know how we would change it to do the right thing in every circumstance, but it’s something that we would like to put some more thought into in future.

1 Like
  1. Or just use the Default flow heading, but insert a flow heading change on that page and change the bottom flow heading margin for that page only. If this occurs lots of times in the layout, you can also change the default flow heading bottom margin, which is used for all flow headings in the layout.

2. What’s the alignment of that lyric and/or does it have any graphical offsets set (activated offset properties)? If its alignment is not “center”, does switching it to “center” help here? Although that’s a local remedy, to be fair.

Thanks so much for the thorough response!!! I still can’t believe that Daniel takes the time to correspond with us mere mortals.

Regarding the six points above, many of them are no big deal to deal with on smaller projects. Making some of these adjustments on larger projects with many movements and individual instrument parts can be a time drain, but still not NEARLY the time drain if I were doing this project with ANY other notation software.