Questions about using VST Connect 5

With version 5 do we still need to set the channel record monitoring preferences to manual to avoid feedback?

Do we need to turn off ASIO Guard globally in Studio Setup/VST Audio System or just disable ASIO Guard in the plugin Manager for the VST Connect 5 plugin?

There is a new configuration setting called “mute on stop” that is not explained in the manual. How does this work?

Btw, I just downloaded the latest hot fix of ver 5 and use Cubase 10.06 on a Mac with Mojave.

Thank you

1- Yes - to the manual monitoring preferences
actually the truth is that you don’t want to use the standard nuendo/cubase monitoring system at all. VST connect takes care of all that internally.

2 - I just leave ASIO on - I think that ‘off’ is old advice
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=177370&p=943000

Cycle mode should work too…more or less :slight_smile:

3 - mute on stop - errrr - I’m guessing it mutes the send from the studio when you stop…try it on and off and see what happens - shouldn’t be too difficult to find out. And post back here to share the love :slight_smile:

Afaik, you cannot even engage Track Monitor for a track that has VST Connect as input, right?
And you shouldn’t, as the VST Connect Monitor plugin in the Control Room takes care of hearing the Performer stream without remote delay.
As such, yes, you may want to keep it that way. We are also making progress integrating track monitoring so that it works like a regular track input monitor and eliminates the VST Connect Monitor plugin altogether. In any case you are advised to use headphones (possibly requiring to move the VST Connect Monitor plugin to after the “Phones” channel in Control Room).

Do we need to turn off ASIO Guard globally in Studio Setup/VST Audio System or just disable ASIO Guard in the plugin Manager for the VST Connect 5 plugin?

You don’t need to switch ASIO Guard anymore, but it may improve operation nevertheless. It is recommended to switch it off globally, as VST Connect runs three plugins that co-operate. If your project has such a heavy load that ASIO Guard makes any sense, you may consider to create a mixdown and record with that, diabling other tracks or re-importing comp’d recordings to the ‘main’ project.

There is a new configuration setting called “mute on stop” that is not explained in the manual. How does this work?

It eliminates overlapping audio when stopping, residuals from the Performer stream when switching from playback/record (delayed) to stop (chat mode).

:slight_smile:

Also, if you punch in the middle of a take when recording and later you import HD files, will the punches show up in the right place (time stamped)?

Also, will the HD files show up on the correct lanes after many takes?

Thanks everyone.

… yes, version 5.0.10

See you,
Michael.

Awesome!

Also, after creating a project using VST Connect 5.1.0, closing out of that project and loading a project NOT using VST Connect, the Cue VST Connect and VST Connect Monitor plugins still show up in the Control Room inserts. I’m guessing maybe these use DSP and could also potentially cause issues when NOT using VST Connect. Besides removing them from the insert slots, is there a better way to manage these control room inserts? I’m using Cubase 10.0.6

Hi Robert

Both those plugins are in the Control Room part of Cubase.

Changes to the Control Room are global - that is they are not ‘project based’. So, yes, they stay in the Control Room when you start a new project.

2 ways to deal with this - use the ‘remove VST connect’ menu option or just remove them manually. I tend to do this if I’m not using VST connect as I think it’s good practice - one less thing to go wrong and who know what it may decide to do to the overall latency or CPU load. I also remove the VST connect plugin from the input channel, or remove the input channel itself when I have finished using it.

FWIW The ‘create VST connect’ menu item doesn’t do anything you can’t do yourself manually - It just creates the cue bus and input channel and puts the 3 plugins in the correct place.

TLDR: use the ‘remove VST connect’ menu item (which actually leaves the cue bus behind I think)

Thanks dr. That’s doable.