Questions Not Answered by Manual

So I purchased the UR44 and have just read the manual from start to finish. Unfortunately, some parts of the manual were sorely lacking and left me with unanswered questions.

1. I see the default buffer size is set to 512 samples, which seems to give me horrendous latency numbers. I assume I want to lower this. Is there any information about what I might be able to set the buffer size to on a high performance Windows machine recording 1 - 4 tracks simultaneously?

2. I am particularly interested in how to use the UR44 to overdub (to a DAW other than Cubase) things like vocals without latency issues. I see that the UR44 has internal DSP functions and can then send the results to the monitor, bypassing the round trip to the DAW. Can anyone point me to a source that steps through the best way to do this? How would I configure my DAW? Would that eliminate enough of the latency for my new track to be synchonized with my existing tracks?

3. I tried to follow the instructions for the eLicense software. After entering my code (half a dozen times now), it correctly shows “Basic FX Suite”. But when I go to select the eLicenser I want to download, it tells me the following:

Currently, there is no eLicenser connected to your computer which you can download your license to. Please connect an appropriate USB-eLicenser to your computer. In case you do not have any USB-eLicensers available and want to download the license to a so-called “Soft-eLicenser”, please contact the software vendor of your product, to learn how to create a Soft-eLicensor on your computer system.

What is this overly complex licensing scheme even for? What exactly am I licensing. Everything is connected and working. What happens if I don’t follow this “eLicenser” procedure? What will I lose?

Hi

1: trial and error. 64 samples is the lowest you can go. If you don’t get any dropouts you’re fine.
I’m using ordinary laptop with 64 or 128 samples buffer, depending on how busy the project is.

2:Use the dspMixFX UR44 application. You will get no noticable latency. Regardless of your buffer setting
It should work straight away without any setting up.
One thing to keep in mind:
Do not monitor your recorded track in your daw, otherwise you will get an echo.

On the other hand.
If you don’t want to hear the direct monitored signal, mute the channel in dspMix application.
When I play DI guitar through an VST Amp, I set the buffer to 64, so it’s playable, monitor through the DAW and mute that channel in dspMix so I don’t hear the clean DI signal.

3:Open the eLicenser Control Center.
If it didn’t get installed, have a look here http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=920&L=1
It is possible having it on a eSoftLicencer.

The license is for VST3 version of included effects. If you want to use them as ordinary insert effects in your Daw.