Questions On Version

I am trying to understand more about what happens under the hood with versions. I created a simple test project with one track and am watching what happens in the pool and in Windows Explorer in the Audio folder.

1. If I create a new version by clicking on the track version in the input/output channels window a new version is created but nothing changes in the pool or the audio folder.

2. If I edit a track using AudioWarp/Free Warp I am usually, though not always, prompted to see if I want to create a new version. If I do, the new version shows up in the pool and there are no changes in the audio folder.

I may be overthinking all of this, but

1. Why does a new version in example 1 create not create a new pool entry while example 2 does?

2. Why does Free Warp sometimes prompt for a new version and sometimes not?

3. If there is still only the original WAV file in the Audio folder, where is the information about what I did to the different versions get stored?

Thanks

I don’t quite understand this: There’s no option to create track versions for Input and Output Channels. Track versions are available for Audio tracks, MIDI tracks, Instrument tracks, Sampler tracks and Video tracks. You can also have track versions of the Chord track, the Signature track and the Tempo track.

I explained it poorly. I was referring to when you click on the name of a track you get a pull down that allows you to create new, duplicate, delete, rename a version.

[1] New Version creates a new, empty track version for all selected tracks. Empty… so there is still no reason why anything should change in the pool.

[2] Free Warp: If the same audio file which is inserted on a first track is inserted on a second track too and edited there with Free Warp, the pop-up appears:

New file version

If you select New Version, a second (new) audio file is created for the second track, the first audio file remains untouched. If you select Continue, this does not happen; instead, the first audio file is changed and is then used identically on both tracks. Incidentally, this principle applies to all processes that change the audio file, e.g. DOP.

Attention! This function has nothing to do with the Track versions. The term Version has a different meaning in the both cases.

Because audio events are just references to clips in the Pool. If you create a new version of the track, there won’t be any events on it => no new entries in the Pool. If you duplicate a track version the audio events will also be duplicated but they still reference the same clip(s) in the Pool => no new entries in the Pool.
Think of the Pool as your audio/video asset management system.

If there is more than one audio event referencing to a clip in the Pool the prompt for a new version (= new audio file and new clip) will appear.
If only one event in the project “uses” a clip than you won’t be prompted.

Destructive changes are usually stored in the “Edits” folder of your project’s record folder.
Bounce Selection goes directly into the project’s record folder.

1 Like

It think the "Attention … " helps quite a bit! Homonyms in software products are generally not a good thing!

1 Like

There’s a whole philosophical discussion about the imperfections of human language and engineering centred vs. user friendly design lurking behind that comment.

I’ve lived long enough to have grown up with IBM mainframe manuals, and arguably those had their terminology more clearly defined, but they were also a very high barrier to entry - and pretty much the opposite of user friendly.

I’d rather continue to live with the fact that regular human language uses terminology that’s highly context dependent, rather than learn 1000s of unique definitions of terms for all the different pieces of software in my life.