Questions re: exploding midi and midi cc data key commands

Hi there,

I do a lot of orchestral writing and I’m looking for ways to streamline the tasks that I do very often. Couple of things have been bugging me recently and I wanted to know if anyone had a solution to them.

When I explode a midi track into separate tracks (useful if I’ve played a chord progression on an ensemble patch and then want to map the individual lines to legato instruments) the newly created tracks end up way at the bottom of my session. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the tracks to stay within the folder I’m in? Or even better, to map the exploded midi the tracks directly below? Would this be possible with a macro?

One more question. I find myself adjusting midi cc data endlessly with the mouse and I’m searching for a way to raise and lower midi cc automation with a set of key commands. Basically, I’d like to be able to enter the key editor, select the notes/automation that I’d like to adjust and then use a key command to raise or lower the overall volume/expression etc. Is this possible?

As a side note, I’d love to hear from others who write orchestral music and have similar techniques for streamlining their workflow!

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Nate

Explore the Logical Editor. It can do it all.

I looked into that and I do use the logical editor for some simple things but I can’t quite figure out how to do the above mentioned tasks. Any suggestions on how to set up the logical editor to do the above mentioned? Anyone?

Thanks!

I’ll challenge that… I’ve looked at using LE for this type of MIDI edit… I don’t think it can be done.

For example… Piano part is three note block chords. Explode that into three different MIDI tracks with the Soprano, Alto, and Bass voices. IF the logical editor can do this, it’s not a easy bit of programming. I don’t think it can though…

Well… I did create this LE that was able to “copy” a voice to a new part. It’s a bit clumsy though… Seems like such a common function “Explode Chord” that it should be a LE preset.

BTW: A serious problem with this… it only extracts notes IF they are in a polyphonic part. Any single-note line is ignored in the extraction of the lowest voice.