Questions regarding updating from Cubase 6 to 10

Hi,

I am preparing to take the giant leap :open_mouth: from my old Cubase (6) to number 10.

I have a few questions before:

Will my projects be compatible after the switch?
Can I transfer my hardware maps (program selection) from version 6?
Does jbridge work still or do I have to forget 32 bits programs?
Steinberg has been talking to change the authorization process for years allowing to use license on two computers. Has this been implemented?
Will 32 gb ram be enough?

Download the trial first – it can be installed parallel to the existing C6. That way you have a month to work through the issues before making the final decision.

Will my projects be compatible after the switch?

Quick answer, yes, you can load C6 .cpr files directly in C10; longer answer, complex projects may need some adaptation, so make backup copies of all your projects (ideally you would have been doing this anyway). Remember that C10 is 64-bit only now, so if you have a project with 32-bit VSTs, these will need some form of remediation. Many people here will be able to help and advise with any specific issues.

Having made backups of your C6 projects, I would suggest the following:
– load the project (e.g. “hitsong.cpr”) in C6 and save it under a new name, e.g. “hitsong-C6.cpr”
– load “hitsong-C6.cpr” in C10 and immediately save it as “hitsong-C10.cpr”
– in C10, work only on "hitsong-C10.cpr from that point on
This way, you can still revert to the original project in C6.

Can I transfer my hardware maps (program selection) from version 6?

If you mean patch lists, yes, these are text files that just need to be copied into your settings, get back here when you get to that point, start a new topic and we can go through the details.

Does jbridge work still or do I have to forget 32 bits programs?

Apparently yes, although I don’t use it myself. Personally I strongly recommend moving to a pure 64-bit-only environment for the sake of stability.

Steinberg has been talking to change the authorization process for years allowing to use license on two computers. Has this been implemented?

No, but of course you can move the USB-eLicenser between computers.

Will 32 gb ram be enough?

Unfortunately this is the “how long is a piece of string” question. If you had enough RAM in C6, then you have enough RAM in C10. 8GB works, 16GB is good, 32GB is better, 64GB might be a waste, unless you know you’re going to use it.

Thanks for the extensive answers Mr Soundman!

I will follow your recommendations.

Yes, you are even allowed to use it on up to 3 computers.

:open_mouth: – did I not get that memo? :laughing:

Not USB-eLicenser licenses like Cubase Pro and Artist though, although you can of course install it on as many computers as you like, but only use it on the computer the USB-eLicenser is plugged into.

No not as many computers as you like - three. But yes - that makes three computers you are allowed to run Cubase Pro and Artist on.

First of all this is technically unenforceable in the case of USB-eLicenser licenses, but may I ask the source of this information please? (perhaps the memo I did not get). Is this in the EULA none of us read?

Almost none of us - yes. And of course it is technically unendforceable.

Hah! OK, thanks for the info!

“Steinberg is currently working on a new protection system that will give you a lot more freedom.”

This was in a Steinberg note written in May 2018. Seems like they are still working on it…