Questions & requests

Hello,
following the “Dorico” journey since it beginning, I finally took the dive and started notating some works and evaluating.
Globally, you did such a fantastic work, I’m very impressed with your vision and its implementation.
However, I got some questions and requests before I open my wallet.
I understand that you can’t commit to any of this, but it would be nice to hear if they are on the horizon-

UI-
*along the “H” shortcut to switch between selection and hand tools, I suggest switching to the hand tool automatically when pressing the right mouse button in an empty space, as in “Finale”. I found it very useful.

*What about custom note paper selection?

*Grid, ruler, and guides?

Notation-
*When using custom accidentals in the key signature, it is desired that the “trill with accidental” will take the symbols respectively.

Engraving-

• will it be possible to choose font, size etc. for different notation symbols? as much as I like Bravura, the mordents are not my taste.

*Optical spacing - down quarters against standing etc. is it in planning?

*Beaming - an option to adjust the secondary beams position?

• I’d like to set left & right accidental parenthesis independently. when using microtones the bowl is not always on the right side.

*Ties- I’d like to see an option for tie attachment based on notehead placement (on staff line or not).

*Barlines - I’d like to set dashed bar line thickness independently.

Thanks in advance,
Ariel

You can use the middle mouse button for this in Dorico, but you can’t map it to another button.

You can specify a custom size in the Page Setup page of Layout Options but you can’t currently save a custom size. We plan to allow this in future.[/quote]

That’s interesting – can you tell me anything about the circumstances in which you find this necessary?

Thank you Daniel, your support is second to none!
I’ll definitely buy “Dorico” this week if only to support your vision.

You can use the middle mouse button for this in Dorico, but you can’t map it to another button.

Great!

You can specify a custom size in the Page Setup page of Layout Options but you can’t currently save a custom size. We plan to allow this in future.

I meant the color on screen.

I would be interested to see an example that looks bad, if you have time to produce a minimal example project and attach it here.

acc.jpg

[/quote]

That’s interesting – can you tell me anything about the circumstances in which you find this necessary?

just for emphasizing .

Another feature that crosses my mind is an option to lock beam manual adjustment to straddle, seat or hang.

Ah, changing the colour of the page and its background is not yet implemented, but it’s something we plan to do in due course.

Moving beams in Engrave mode will move them by quarter-space increments so it should be easy to put them in the positions you would like, but adding a property to snap a beam to a particular position might be tricky. I will ask James, the developer who implemented all of the beam snapping behaviour.

Thank you, Daniel.
I’ve already started notating a commissioned hymn book, and 2 very useful key commands are missing to my workflow:

• Toggle stem direction
  • Toggle break/join beam

I’m aware of the separate commands, but toggling is much more useful to the user.

in addition, It will be useful to show the filter menu when right clicking.

Here’s a quick work around for adding the accidental to the trill. Just insert a text box, type a letter “b”, make it small, about 7 pt, then go to Engrave and move it into position. Hope that helps until it is available in Dorico.

Or you can copy any character here:
https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/keyboard-techniques.html

And paste it as a text selecting the Bravura font in the text options pop-up.

You can already make an accidental appear above a trill using the Properties panel, so you shouldn’t need to copy and paste an accidental from the SMuFL character tables, but what Dorico doesn’t yet do is take the musical context into account when working out what the accidental should be, and nor does it affect the accidental state e.g. for the remainder of the bar. All of this is planned, as I said above.

Thanks Daniel for directing me to the properties panel, my accidental looks great!

When trills with accidentals are fully implemented, may I suggest that it be possible to indicate the accidental in the popover as well? Something like “trb”, “tr#”, and “tr0” or “trn” perhaps?

Not fully, I was talking about microtonal accidentals, in relevance to the key signature.