Quick back to recording?

In the creative process, I often want to record a guitar riff until I’m content with how it sounds. But having to find to the mouse, drag it to the specific beginning of the bar, hit record and wait a precount is a bit too tedious, especially when the crusade for perfection kicks in. Are there any shortcuts to basically speed this part up?

I would recommend using key commands, it’s much faster than using the mouse. There are loads of key commands navigating the arrangement (jump to locators, jump to markers, forward, backward etc), then hit the key command for record. You can disable the pre-count, if that is bothering you. I often use punch in to start recording and play back a few bars before that to get into the groove. You can also combine that with loop recording for many takes.
One other tip: if you started a take and messed up, hitting record again immediately deletes the take, goes back to the bar where you started and restarts recording.

2 Likes

Thank you, what is “punch in”?

Also, how do you loop record? make the selection and hit recording?

p.s: The other tip is excellent, thank you.

1 Like

One other tip: if you started a take and messed up, hitting record again immediately deletes the take, goes back to the bar where you started and restarts recording.

Is this only available on new versions of cubase? I’m using 10.5 and it didn’t work, pressing cmd-r (macbook) does not appear to delete and set me back to the beginning :frowning:

I’m pretty sure it was already there in 10.5. Maybe it is some preference? Dunno. You might need to check the manual.

You have to set the record mode to “re-record”. You can also change the key command to something else less cumbersome than two keys. I use the"insert" key for instance.