Quick Controls and Generic Remote

Hi,

I have several questions concerning quick controls:

1. When setting up a generic control it is possible to assign “Quick Control” - what does that exactly do?

2. I have an effect in a monitoring insert of the control room. I can right click on a parameter and assign it to quick control or even a dedicated quick control slot. Still I cannot modify the parameter with the connected controller. What am i doing wrong?

Thx, Ernst

Hi,

Quick Controls and Generic Remote Device are kind of “competitors” in Cubase. Generic Remote is a static assignment of specific hardware knob/slider to a specific parameter. Quick Controls is a dynamic assignment of specific hardware knob/slider to a parameter depending on selected track.

By using Quick Controls, you kind of reserve 8 MIDI CCs for the Quick Control system. Then you can define (for every single channel) which parameter is assigned to these reserved 8 MIDI CCs.

Generic Remote is more useful for the global controls (like Transport panel buttons, Master Fader, calling specific function – MIDI Key Command, etc.). Quick Controls are useful for dynamic assignment, so you can control 8 specific unique parameters on every channel (even across different plug-ins on the channel).

Thank you again, martin. I understand the reply to my first question, namely: By assigning certain controls in a generic remote to the “Quick Controls” I resolve the potential conflict and can integrate the quick control logic into a generic remote solution. right?

For the second question - this is still open to me. Again: I have a plugin in the monitor insert slots. I can right click a parameter of the plugin and assign it to a quick control slot. Still I cant control the parameter remotely. What does the assignment in this case do and how can I control the parameter in this situation?

Thx, Ernst

Thank you again, martin. I understand the reply to my first question, namely: By assigning certain controls in a generic remote to the “Quick Controls” I resolve the potential conflict and can integrate the quick control logic into a generic remote solution. right?

For the second question - this is still open to me. Again: I have a plugin in the monitor insert slots. I can right click a parameter of the plugin and assign it to a quick control slot. Still I cant control the parameter remotely. What does the assignment in this case do and how can I control the parameter in this situation?

Thx, Ernst

Hi,

1. Yes, you can include Quick Controls in the Generic Remote Device.

2. It doesn’t work this way in Cubase. The Monitor channel should be in focus to be able to pass over the MIDI data to this parameter. But Monitor is not a channel, this is a bus, so there is no way, how to set the focus and sent the controlling MIDI CC to this bus.

Thank you martin.
The answer to question 2 implies that there is a bug in cubase - namely to allow to assign insert parameters of monitor channels to quick controls at all - since it simply cannot work by design?

Thx, Ernst

Hi,

I was thinking about it and I’m not sure, if this is a bug. The plug-in itself doesn’t know, where it is sitting, what kind of channel is it. So the plug-in itself cannot “decide” if the Quick Controls menu items should be shown or not.

Ok - never mind, thank you martin!

The point shows again that the concepts around remote control in Cubase are not well designed but a historical mess that for sure would need some serious cleanup. It is absolutely “random” that inserts of control room and many other control room parameters are not accessible for remote control.

But that is an other (eternal) story.

;o) Ernst

Hi Maritn,
I thought about your last reply… and I think you are wrong in this case: Since the assignment of a plug-in parameter to a quick control slot is only valid for the plug-in in its current place (on a certain track), the context menu basically means “assign to quick control slot x on channel y” (the channel is always relevant). This as a result means that the action of assignment is not only determined by the plug-in but as well by its position (on which track it sits). So: If there is no channel - to show the context menu is a bug.

Ernst

I agree, one aspect of cubendo that really could be improved.
But that would be a big job, I’m not holding my breath.