Quickest / shortest way of panning an audio event?

What’s the quickest / shortest way of panning an audio event?

Is there a way of doing it like with volume directly on the event, as that would save so much time?

Of course you could automate it, but I want precise control to say go from centre to say right 35 on the audio event and then straight back to centre after.

Hi,

What about to use Direct Offline Processing?

Possibly but I simply want to do a normal stereo pan and there’s no plugin for that, only multipan and that’s a bit much for such a simple left right pan

Hi,

In the VSTMultiPanner you can use just the one parameter “X”. You can ignore the other parameters and you will get the result with the same speed as “only-one-parameter” solution.

Btw, you can even save a presets and trigger them by hitting Key Command. It cannot be faster.

I just tried out your process. It’s clever. It actually works well.

The only thing is that i find it hard to get my head around the panning not being reflected in the left inspector channel strip. As far as I can see.

So you won’t be able to see just by looking at the mixer that the pan has been applied, as it will still show ‘centre’, even though the DOP has used the multipanner to pan somewhere. And I think that might confuse me when mixing.

Hi,

If you want to reflect it on the Panner (Inspector or MixConsole), then the only one way is to automate it.

Then you could use a Project Logical Editor. Something like:
(Media Type is | Equal | Automation | And
Container Type is | Equal | Event | And
Name | Contains | Standard Panner | And
Position | Inside Cycle | [i]keep Parameters 1 and 2 empty[/i] | [i]any settings here[/i] )
Trim | Multiple by | [i]your value[/i]
Transform

(Wow, the line “Name | Contains | Standard Panner | And” is actually really smart!!! :smiley: …To make sure only Pan automation will be affected.)

See attached screenshot, please.

You could again prepare some presets with different Multiple/Divide by values and assign Key Commands.

Then you would always need to select the Audio event, hit P (Transport > Locators > Set Locators to Selection Range) and apply the Project Logical Editor Preset.

Of course, you can even make a macros, so by the Key Command you wouldn’t trigger just the preset, but you would trigger different macros. The 1st step would be always this “Set Locators to Selection Range” and the 2nd step would be the wanted Project Logical Editor Preset.

It would be neat to be able to pan a single event like you can adjust the volume of an event.

Exactly. This is all it needs. And panning is such a commonly used part of mixing. It needs to be made much quicker like that.

Hi,

Wouldn’t you then miss the fact you can’t see it in the MixConsole?

Oh that’s a good point. I forgot about that.but then you would assume steinberg would make it so that cubase would reflect in the inspector I guess

Hi,

The Audio Event Volume curve is not reflected in Inspector or in the MixConsole.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against it. Just there are already ways, how to do it in Cubase and they are quite quick and useful, I would say.

You’re probably right. Do you think there are any disadvantages to not seeing the panning reflected in the inspector when it comes to mixing or anything else, or am I overthinking it?

Hi,

I would say that really depends on the unique workflow is every single user.

I can imagine it’s OK in some projects for some tracks (sounds design).

One disadvantage I’ve thought of is that because you cannot ‘easily’ see the panning in the inspector, you’d have to open Direct offline processing each time to compare the different panning settings between each track to make sure they are not overlapping etc?

Hi,

Yes, this is disadvantage of course.

I don’t know your use case. If you want to use it for one track or you want to mix like this, is it a music project or a sounds design project…?

I would say mainly for mixing. I tend to do a rough mix as I’m going along making a song. As then I can see what is working and what isn’t. And panning can make a huge difference to that.

I think I’ve answered my own question. After discussing all of this I think the best method for me will be the one I’m doing which is use a key command to quickly open panning lanes then use the range tool to pan the audio clip. I wish it was a bit easier but it will do. At least I can then see visually in the mixing console where things are panning at a glance.