Quickly input notes with repeating rhythmic patterns

I seem to remember that I’ve seen in one of the first tutorial videos that it was possible to quickly enter a repeating dotted eighth and sixteenth note pattern without having to type the number and period shortcuts repeatingly but I can’t remember how – or have I only dreamt that?

Is there a way/shortcut to activate a setting so that I only have to enter the note names and it will do the note values automatically? Or, if not, could something like this be implemented? Like, some kind of a macro that you can quickly program yourself?
pattern.png

Well, you can enter them as all eighths, then select them all and press period to convert to dotted rhythms!

… and the reason this works is interestingly devious!

When you extend the first note you selected by 50% with the dot, the end of the second note gets rewritten as a new (shorter) note.

So the original second note no longer exists, and therefore can’t be made longer. But the original third note hasn’t been changed yet, so that can be extended … rinse and repeat.

Ah, that is smart. And that’s probably what I’ve seen in the video. Thanks, guys.

By the way, is there a similar simple way to convert some eight notes into the inverted dotted rhythm? (16th note and then dotted 8th note)
Sometimes it would come in useful to have a shortcut for this, too. (shift + period, maybe?)

No, but you could fudge it, couldn’t you?

1. Shuffle the passage along by an 8th (using Alt+Shift+Right arrow and an appropriate grid resolution)
  2. Add an extra 8th note at the start of the passage
  3. Dot the whole passage as above
  4. Remove the first note
  5. Shuffle everything back by a dotted eighth

Insert mode may be faster for steps 1 and 5, but if you have music in multiple voices later in that staff (within that flow) it should be used with caution.

Actually, this is much quicker.

1. Select the whole passage except the first 8th.
  2. Shuffle forwards a 16th.
  3. Dot.

thanks Leo, I might create a macro for these two steps (2 and 3)