Qwerty input octave questions

1 I’m in write mode, I’ve pressed Shift+N and I’m ready to enter the note E. How can I see in which octave my E will be entered?

1. I’ve enterede my E, and I want to enter another E an octave up. I press Ctrl+Up, I press E and everything is fine. I want to enter still another E, but now two octaves down. I press Ctrl+Down, Ctrl+Down and then E. The E will appear only one octave down. Is this normal behavior?

2. I’ve entered an E, but it’s in the wrong octave. The note is still selected. In MuseScore I can push it up/down by the octave with a simple keystroke. Is this a command I haven’t found in Dorico?

3. A more general one: I’ve started Dorico, I’m in write mode and ready to go. But I have to use my dreaded mouse to get something selected first. Is it possible to select the first note/rest in the top staff in the first visible bar without using the mouse? If not, can it be done using a script? If so, how about a tutorial?

1 I’m in write mode, I’ve pressed Shift+N and I’m ready to enter the note E. How can I see in which octave my E will be entered?

If it’s the very first note, then it’ll be closest to the “hot spot” for the clef, so if you’re in treble clef, the hot spot is the G line, i.e. the second line up from the bottom of the staff, so the E will go in on the bottom line of the staff; if you’re in the bass clef, the hot spot is the F line, i.e. the second line down from the top of the staff, so the E will go in the second space from the top of the staff.

If there is another note in that voice in that staff, even if it is a long time ago, the E you type will be in the octave closest to the previous note in that voice.

1. I’ve enterede my E, and I want to enter another E an octave up. I press Ctrl+Up, I press E and everything is fine. I want to enter still another E, but now two octaves down. I press Ctrl+Down, Ctrl+Down and then E. The E will appear only one octave down. Is this normal behavior?

To write an E in the octave above, use Shift+Alt+E; to write an E in the octave below, use Ctrl+Alt+E (on Mac, just use the key labeled Ctrl; don’t hold Alt and don’t use Command instead of Ctrl).

1. I’ve entered an E, but it’s in the wrong octave. The note is still selected. In MuseScore I can push it up/down by the octave with a simple keystroke. Is this a command I haven’t found in Dorico?

Ctrl+Alt+up/down arrow will transpose the note just input up and down by octaves.

1. A more general one: I’ve started Dorico, I’m in write mode and ready to go. But I have to use my dreaded mouse to get something selected first. Is it possible to select the first note/rest in the top staff in the first visible bar without using the mouse? If not, can it be done using a script? If so, how about a tutorial?

No, this can’t yet be done, but the plan is that simply hitting any of the arrow keys will select something in view, so that you can then move the selection from there.

Thank you for an informative answer. But:

Ctrl+Alt+up/down arrow will transpose the note just input up and down by octaves.

:wink: Sorry, Ctrl+Alt+down turns my screen upside down. Ctrl+Alt+ArrowKey tells my screen what direction should be Up. I’m on a Dell Latitude. Hmmm, I think I’ll google “Dell override hotkeys”… Jackpot! Right-click desktop → Look for “Disable hotkeys”. Problem gone.

The menu:Help->Key Commands is really great. But I wish it could be expanded to include a laptop layout. And with a reminder that hotkeys may have to be disabled for things to work…