R Retrologue and Padshop VST 3.5?

Anyone know yet?

I want to use that VST3 midi tweaking!

Would probably make the update a ‘no brainer.’

Como

yes

Says it right in the details page for Padshop.

and…
Why would Steinberg release something THAT DOESN’T showcase their latest tech?

Do you mean VST 3.5, where you can edit stuff like MIDI pitch bend individually for each note? …Called “Note Expression”…

Yes, they are VST 3.5, just confirmed with PADShop but not with retrologue.

Well they released the vintage pack which although it was VST 3, didn’t have things like extended routing or sidechain support.

Duh! I meant 3.5

Well, 1 out of 2 is not bad.

But, thinking about it, I doubt pad sounds would lend to any 3.5 multipolyphony extravaganza.

Como

Was that Steinberg? or Yamaha?

I know that Steinberg is owned by Yamaha, but…

Two separate entities still.

The king and his subjects are separate entities … in a manner of speaking.

Como

Yes, NE support is built right into the modulation matrix of both Padshop and Retrologue. You also need to rethink that last sentence about NE for Padshop… another thing, Retrologue is outstanding, and one of the coolest VST’s I’ve played with in quite a while. Very easy to work, powerful, and an analog sound that’ll make you weak. The factory programs are fantastic! A definite keeper!!!

Tell me more? It’s not easy to conceive of a 3 or 4 note chord produced on a pad with morphing/ evolving tone period … let alone able to benefit by VST Expression on a note by note basis.

I’m thinking of it as a ‘bed voice’ over which other clearer voices play. And if the voice is monophonic as far as the midi notes go, you can do what you like the old fashioned CC track way.

On strings or horns, sure. Using different articulations on the voices would be rich. But pads?

Como

Pads like what you are describing are just one type of pads.

All pads are not just simple floating tones of chords, and Padshop for example, is good at “pulsating” audio, rhytmic maybe, or rather one could say that it’s very good at organic and drone like sounds. One could, for example, imagine the flow of someone playing a didgeridoo, and one would be describing the character of a sound that can be produced in Padshop. It can of course do “traditional” pads, as well, but that is just one aspect of what it’s capable of. Athmosperic and film textural sounds are easily created, and sounds very cool too. Sounds can be made distinctly unique (to make a point), which is excellent.

If one takes an instrument such as a didgeridoo… when you play it, it keeps the basic character of the dronal sound, but is accented, “brassed” and otherwise “twisted” in tone and character, in various intervals, by manipulating the way you play in various ways.

Padshop (and Retrologue too of course) allow you to manipulate a sound and it’s “parts” in a similar fashion. This way you can imagine a sound, like the didgeridoo, with a basic drone and some “rhytmic” component, which can both be endlessly transformed. I believe that Padshop will win a place in the hearts of film composers, new age musicians, etc.

Of course, if one cannot fantasize or see the use about such sound characteristics, one will likely not enjoy Padshop. It does give me one of those “feelings” that one gets from time to time, about a new synthesizer, that tickles ones fancy. :slight_smile:

Please note that I am not implying “only” monophonic sounds in any way, merely trying to convey an aspect, which is in no way conclusive, of how one might begin to understand an instrument like Padshop. To conveive of what you are asking, you have to get the little gray cells going, or not.

It is not just a sample player, nor is the end result necessarily related to the basic characteristics of the waveforms used. This is one of the great features of a granular synthesis engine.

Its nice to have two more synths now that I can simply right click on a parameter to open its automation lane (just like Reason) :sunglasses:

I admit I have only heard the demo video on Padshop, so I asked you pleasantly to explain your, in my opinion, some what cavalier original imperative comment.

Now you come seemingly more condescending, both in your assumption of my understanding of pads and their variety and in this above comment. I’m willing to let it pass as unintended, unartful reply, noting in passing that no one likes to be spoken down to or contradicted out of hand.

But, to the point, I think you may misunderstand me … probably due to my question being poorly articulated due to my lack of hands on with PadShop.

It is still unclear to me if PadShop is a monophonic or polyphonic instrument in the traditional sense of playing more than one note from a keyboard or sequencer at the same time. Certainly the sound it produces is polyphonic in quality, based upon what I’ve seen/ heard, even if those sounds were triggered by a single note at a time.

Your digeridooexample of using a drone like low note with use of note expression on notes at higher intervals is a compelling example that I can see would be useful in scoring if PadShop is polyphonic.

However, the morphing examples with one sequenced sound that I heard in the demonstration in the video were clearly designed to demonstrate the creation of traditional pads … something impossible to imagine plays 4 simultaneous notes for a Major 7th.

Of course, every tool is an opportunity and thinking ‘out side the box’ only makes it more so.

My intrigue grows.

Como

Thanks for your insights.

Como

Exactly! If Retrologue can soundwise replace my Korg Analogue addition I will replace it for that feature alone.
I work a lot with automation,fantastic!!
Retrologue has no Arpergiator hm? :frowning:

Greetz Dylan.

@Sir Dancelot:
have you ever used the great midi-plugins in Cubase, for example Arpeggiator, Chorder, etc.?
In this way it´s more flexible.
I love these easy to use Midi plugins - one more reason why I´m using Cubase.

:sunglasses:

You can always use Arpache or another midi insert arpeggiator.

Also @ Strophoid:

Never used them, think I am going to now.

Oh lol, CM was faster :sunglasses:

erm… 3 seconds (!)

:laughing:

On the off topic … I can hijack my own thread, can’t I? … topic.

If you like midi plugins you should drop into KVR and check out ARP from Homegrown Sounds and the beta, Vortex. The last is 12 sequencer/ arp combo with 12 voice synth or midi out. It’s special.

Como