Rack instruments versus Track instruments

I didn’t word it correctly. I meant the right ZONE. As in from the windows/zones. The button on the top right corner of the arrangement window for the right zone/window. It will show your plugins you have loaded up for instrument tracks. If you right click on the plugin you want to expand the outputs you can select extra outputs to enable or you can just select ‘enable all outputs’. This works for instrument tracks as well as rack instruments.

I didn’t word it correctly. I meant the right ZONE. As in from the windows/zones. The button on the top right corner of the arrangement window for the right zone/window. It will show your plugins you have loaded up for instrument tracks. If you right click on the plugin you want to expand the outputs you can select extra outputs to enable or you can just select ‘enable all outputs’. This works for instrument tracks as well as rack instruments.
[/quote]

That’s OK no problem.
I have seen that right zone for outputs as well as the one on the left (the inspector window tab,drop down menu for my instrument track)
please see attached my screen shot and the areas drawn in bright green

I only use ‘Rack Instruments’ when I need to send more than one midi track to one instance of a VSTi. For instance when I revive an old midi project I tend to add Rack instruments first because it’s more flexible to be able to switch the midi output from one instrument to another while looking for the right instruments and sounds. The biggest limitation for me however is that you can’t separately process the audio of the send midi tracks. You’re only able to achieve this if the VSTi is able to route the sounds to more than 1 pair of outputs like Halion. But after figuring out what I’m going to use on what track I usually replace the rack for track instruments and move the midi tracks to these. Unless the track is using some midi functions that are not available on instrument tracks of course.

It’s different for multitimbral external synths with just one or two set of stereo outputs. You can also only use one VSTi per external instrument at a time because of the physical midi in/output. So that automatically makes it kind of a ‘Rack Instrument’ if you want to send more than one midi track to it.

Other than that I always use ‘Track Instruments’ because IMO it’s more transparent and straightforward to work with. Also when bouncing or rendering to audio.

Yeah good points there Nickeldome
I have experimented with both rack and track instruments too.I found (in my short time of using Cubase) I agree with you, that using track instruments is much easier and less confusing to work with :slight_smile: