Random Beachballs on MacOS Catalina

Hi Arne,
It happens to me when browsing the media window and on any plugin, it’s every 2 mins and lasts upto 5 seconds.

We have Nuendo 10.3 on the same iMac Pro 2017 10 core and Nuendo works flawlessly.
Cubase 11 was a completely new install.

Edit: the beach ball happens on Steinberg plugins too.

Just got the beachball for a few seconds while attempting to change MIDI input via the Inspector on a Padshop track. No plugin windows open. Cubase 10.5 on the same machine never does this.

I’m on an iMac Pro 10-core 128GB with two 4K screens attached, both at 3840x2160, one on either side of the iMac Pro display (which is at 5120x2880). My graphics card is the Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB. I’m using Mojave 10.14.6, but I partitioned my drive and had the same freezing using Catalina.

I have lots of VE Pro 7 connected using up to 11 MIDI ports per VE Pro instance. And up to 18 or so audio inputs from VE Pro per each instance. I have a couple Kontakt 6 instruments inside Cubase as well as several Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ. However, I have not had any freezing while using any specific instrument or plugin.

As for my experiences, the “beachballs” I’ve been having are not sudden pauses. Mine are full-on freezing of Cubase 11, where I need to Force-Quit. I’ve removed every non-Steinberg plugin except for VE Pro but I still have the “beachballs.” When I have had “beachballs”, it’s been doing very basic actions such as scrolling up in the Arrange window, drawing MIDI CCs in the Lower Zone Key Editor, or when I pressed STOP after recording a MIDI part. My same project / template does not have any freezing at all in Cubase 10.0.60.

I’ve sent a few crash reports to Martin Jirsak. I’m wondering if this issue has to do with Cubase 11’s new use of Metal.

Hi Arne,
Any progress on this bug?
It’s totally unusable for me here and it’s crucially important this gets fixed asap so I can work.

Well this is interesting. I noticed yesterday that I did not have a single instance of the random beachball despite working with C11 for 2-3 hours throughout the day. I tried to inventory what was different this morning. As far as I can recall, only 2 things have changed in the last 48 hours:

1. I reinstalled Sonarworks Reference 4 to attempt to fix a functional problem in Studio One 5 (success BTW).

2. I had quit the Adobe Creative Cloud app (not sure why or exactly when I did this). I had previously tried to quit/pause all my background apps (Dropbox, Google Drive, NTFS, etc) with no success and thought I had turned everything back on. Not sure if I just forgot about Adobe or disabled it again after.

I launched Adobe Creative Cloud and tried to duplicate the beachball problem for several minutes by continuously selecting different Omnisphere patches, which would have normally seen at least one reoccurrence. Nothing!

I need a couple more days of intensive use to declare my system problem free, but I’m stumped. I am left thinking it was somehow the corrupted Sonarworks plugin, but that seems too much to hope for. I will update everyone in 24-48 hours as to whether my particular issue is really gone.

Keith

1 Like

So I am still getting beachball pauses, but they are very infrequent - I have to drive Cubase for 30 minutes to an hour or so to get a single instance now. The good news is it is not seriously interrupting my work; the bad news is it is still happening and it so intermittent that I don’t know how to effectively do any further testing.

It’s interesting that the frequency of occurrence definitely went down with the only change I recall making was reinstalling Sonarworks. I have temporarily turned off Sonarworks Systemwide and I guess my next step is to not use the Somarworks plugin and see if that has an effect.

We are in talks with Apple as it looks like a driver bug for the AMD Radeon Vega GPU series. If we don’t find the reason, we will switch back to the non Metal backend on these graphic cards in the next update.

Well I’m on a MBP 16 Aug. 2020 and it was happenening to me as well. I installed day of launch. Drove me crazy for 2 days and I. decided to re-install the whole thing. Fortunately , I don’t see it as much. Maybe 2 or 3 secs. Definitely believe it has something to do with mouse, plugins and content… But, overall a re-install of Cubase worked out smoother.

This is most likely another issue and may come from 3rd party plug-ins using OpenGL in a way incompatible with Metal. Do you have this issue when just using Steinberg plug-ins?

1 Like

Here on iMac (2017, 27"/5K Retina, i5, Radeon Pro 575 4GB) all fine. Catalina and Cubase 11. But maybe also because I don’t have a Radeon Vega GPU series.

I only have the problem very infrequently now. I have the Vega56 - I believe someone that was having the problem far worse is on a Vega64.

@Arne_Scheffler - any chance of making this optional if you can’t get it worked out with Apple? Not sure I would trade the improved GUI performance for the occasional hiccup. I understand others have a more serious issue.

Same Problem here! I installed C11 next to C10.5. Since C11 the problem occured on both versions.
uninstalled both and started from scratch. Its a slightly better , meaning: it still happens but not that often anymore. but still is bothersome

Happening for me as well on iMac Pro with Vega56. Intermittent spinning beachballs every five minutes or so since I upgraded to Nuendo 11.
I’m so relieved to find it here on the forum as a known graphics card issue that Steinberg is working on. Hopeful for a hot fix soon!

Same issue: 10-Core Xeon iMac Pro with 65 GB of RAM. Happens frequently on Cubase 11 for me, even on projects with limited tracks. However, it looks like (from some earlier posts) that it’s a graphic card issue. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

hi guys, i also have lots of rainbow beachballs here since update to 11

im on a very simple setup: maxed out macbook 16" 2020, simple HD external monitor on HDMI, no external devices, no external HD’s, not even a soundcard/interface.

-im thinking it has to do something with storage or the permission of said storage, because it often happens when Cubase saves a .bak in the background. Sometimes it hangs, but when i wait VERRRRRRRY long it just pops back into action.

-Also, a lot of plugins are not really 100% native compatible with Catalina, so maybe it has to do with that?
A good example of this are all the Vengeance plugins. (not saying its their fault, i know they work hard on this, Apple keept changing the rules with every OS update)

-It could also be the USB-C hub im using, because of the dongle, maybe it doesnt play nice with the whole setup. HDMI cable also connects from that hub.

-Steinie says Cubase now has better performance with Metal, but im affraid something is still quite buggy…i have zero performance boost

-Im about to order a big 4K USB-C monitor anyway, maybe it will be better after that.

-Last point, i did an install on the same system as CB 10.5. Sometimes it better to format/reset, and install clean. But with all the plugins and presets i have, thats just too much work for me now. (just had a little baby, so i dont have a lot of time haha)

cheers w

I’m having a similar issue on an iMac Pro, Catalina 10.15.7 with Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics. The playhead freezes a lot during playback, without any third party plugin windows open. Audio is uninterrupted though.

Update: The whole program freezes continuously. I have tried renewing the preferences with no success.

Im getting same with iMac Late 2012 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1 GB

My plugins are fully clean since Catalina 10.15.7 update.

The freezes are Random at any time, my last one was during mix down export.
Never had any issues with Cubase prior to 11, but this feels like a Catalina compatibility issue to me.

The only way i can exit is force quit.

So still looking for clues and things to try. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
David

Just to update, since I installed big sur 11.1 with cubase 11 the beach balls, so far, have disappeared. And hopefully won’t return as that was annoying as f.

Nope beach balls are back with a vengeance. Cubase 11 is screwed.

Any news on a fix Arne?
This is getting ridiculous, I’m having to workin in a DAW I really don’t like.