Random crashes Cubase 9.5.10 [MAC OSX]

So other-wise great update but I’ve been having some weird random crashes when closing a window such as the mixer (pop-up, or even a synth GUI)

Doesn’t happen too often but it’s frustrating as hell when working on sound-design for a long period of time and it crashes and even with the auto save backups i lose a lot of work sometimes.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Hi,

Could you share the *.crash file (located in macOS Console utility), please?

21/12/17 17:39:12,175 ReportCrash[34775]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash
com.apple.message.signature: Cubase 9.5
com.apple.message.signature2: com.steinberg.cubase9v5 ||| 9.5.10.79 (9.5.10.79)
com.apple.message.signature3: 7925DEB0EE3C6D8F6E74A01371E5141E
com.apple.message.result: YES
com.apple.message.summarize: YES
SenderMachUUID: 6D4CF284-A664-3528-A025-7A11A7B26897

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. This is what I found in the console.

Hi,

I need the original crash file please.

Hi,

I have the same crashing issue on macOS 10.12.6 using Cubase 9.5.10. No particular event to trigger it crashing but it always seems to happen when I have a VST plugin window open of some kind e.g. HIVE, Retrologue, the VST plugin manager, the maximiser, compressor or limiter.

Hitting “Update Information for all plug-ins” in the plugin manager has also caused Cubase to crash.

I only appear to have 6 crash files for some reason but have attached them anyway. Thanks for your help.
Archive.zip (153 KB)

Where do I find crash reports. Mine has been doing same. Sometimes OS reports that it crashed after I quit Cubase. I have submited the report to apple but not to Steinberg.
Now a new issue showed up, intense audio performace spikes causing drop outs on projects that had no issues previously.
Also my elicenser reported problems and after running maintenance it reported that it was broken and all licenses disappeared. It was plugged into Apple Thunderbolt Display. I plugged into the macpro directly and after a while and all of a sudden everything showed up again.
Crazy! I had a new replacement dongle so I transferred the licenses and I am keeping my finger crossed as I use this sys. live.

Hi,

Mac: macOS Console utility.
Win: Documents/Steinberg/crashdumps

Hi @Chronos1976,

There are several different crashes.

• Wizoo Hybrid
  • Wizoo Xpand!
  • U-he Hive
  • 1 Cubase crash in the Plug-in Manager
  • 2-times the same crash in Cubase (I have to resolve, it’s not clear, where it is, yet).

I would recommend to update all of your plug-ins first.

Most probably this is because of the plug-in crash. Cubase crashes with the plug-in.

I’m also seeing random crashes, but especially if I try to select anything on the top menu. I’m on MacOS 10.13.2.

Edit: Update - moved back to 32 bit mode for the engine and seems to be OK now (fingers crossed).

Spoke too soon. It’s now happening again in 32 bit mode!

I’ve raised a support ticket for my issue. Does anyone know if selecting menu options triggers an eLicenser access? Trying to narrow-down the factors involved.

Edit: Just re-installed the 9.5.10 update and the issue is cleared. I’d love to know how this randomly occurred…

i uninstalled cubase 9.5 tonight manually and reinstalled 9.5 it seems more stable so far
i’m yet to install the update, want to see if its stable for longer first.
mediabay still doesn’t work for me though
emailed tech support 2 weeks back no response yet

I think this may be dongle related. Started happening again, so I re-installed the eLicenser package. It’s now OK. I can see the dongle LEDs flashing when I click on a menu option too.

Hi,

It would great, if you could try with the latest USB-eLicenser, new dongle.

Having to spend money on new hardware, which may or may not work - it’s not an ideal way forward tbh.

ChrisPurusha- here, the dongle’s LED doesn’t react to any user interaction.

Even so, Going from what you’re saying, maybe the dongle idea is a red herring. Have the crashes produced a crash report? Where is crash report log file on mac os X ? - #2 by Martin.Jirsak - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Have you done routine troubleshooting, i.e., renaming prefs folder, starting up with nothing plugged in except for the dongle…?

There’s no crash report. I’ve passed various logs etc. over to Steinberg via a ticket (no response so far). Yep - spent a lot of time trouble-shooting and trying different work-arounds.

I think I’ve found a work-around, but it’s not ideal. If I use the Hub to load a project (or kick off an empty project), then I use the transport bar to play and stop first, then I can use the menu bar seemingly with no problem. Doesn’t give a warm feeling of confidence though… :slight_smile:

But I’m asking specifically if you did this: https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/troubleshooting-instructions-for-cubase-nuendo-and-sequel-on-windows#preferences

The info references old Cubase and OS versions but is still valid.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’m on a Mac. Those instructions don’t apply. :frowning:

It’s the same on Mac and PC. The file paths are different is all. Here’s the path to the Mac instructions.

Good luck to you.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/troubleshooting-instructions-for-cubase-nuendo-and-sequel-on-mac#preferences