Is anyone else seeing faders in Cubase Pro 13.0.70 (seemingly) randomly turn almost all the way down (but not quite to negative infinity) from time to time. This isn’t just a graphics glitch, but rather the volume also gets turned down, for example in the most recent case I noticed the value was -68.4 dBFS. This is on Windows 10.
Unfortunately, this has seemed sufficiently random that I’m not even sure what to suggest for trying to recreate the problem. However, it has now happened enough times, and in different contexts, that I do not think it is any sort of user error.
The first time I saw it I thought maybe I just made some kind of accidental change, though I hadn’t been working on anything that would seem to relate to the track in question – I was probably working in tweaking plugin (possibly Vocalchain) settings at the time. I just noticed that that track had all of a sudden gone silent. I think it may have been a track feeding the group bus insert I was working on at the time.
The next time I definitely recall having seen it, I was playing back a project with a group bus for background vocals, with four tracks feeding that bus, soloed. When it got to a point were all four of the individual tracks came together, playback “froze”. That is, not only did everything go silent, but the playback cursor stayed in the same place. I waited for a few minutes, and nothing changed. I eventually pressed the global Mute button (or perhaps the global Solo button) to try unmuting the rest of the tracks, and playback resumed, but I noticed the lowest-numbered track of the background vocals now had a very low fader volume. It is possible that issue happened twice (I know the playback freezing did, but I’m not positive about the fader change).
A little later the same night, I exported a rough mix of the project and was reading some web stuff while waiting for the export to finish. When I got back to the project, I noticed that that same BGV track had a lowered fader again. (I don’t know, one way or the other whether it lowered during the course of the mix or after the mix finished – the BGVs are sufficiently low in the mix that it would be hard to tell, and the parts are also doubled – i.e. 2 doubled parts to yield the 4 BGV tracks.)
This most recent time, I was tweaking plugin settings and or channel EQ settings over a period of time. At some point, I noticed that I wasn’t hearing the bass (a frozen instrument track), then looked over at its fader and saw it was at -68.4 dBFS. Note that I do not see any history entry in my MixConsole history to correspond to the value change (only my changes after that to try and figure out where it needed to be), though it is conceivable it happened far enough back to not be on the history list since I was doing a lot of changing of plugin and EQ values in short order (and my attention was on tracks other than the bass).
Note that none of these times was my track-level focus on the track whose fader changed. If that had been the case, I would at least be wondering if my Roland A-800PRO might be sending out errant fader manipulation data (I have one of its sliders set to control the volume of the selected track). Nor was my cursor over an area with a fader (to have a chance that a mouse wheel move might be coming into play). There is also no volume automation on that tracks where this has happened (and Read automation was not enabled).
This issue is particularly concerning because, short of some obvious change in volume, it tends not to be noticed right away since I’m not even working in the area where the change occurs.