Random Midi Velocity in Cubase Pro 8

Hello helpful people!
I recently upgraded from 6 to 8, awesome! Such a great change, problems have been few and far between. However, there were some add-ons for 6 that enabled many midi manipulation features that I now miss, such as the randomization of velocity and compression/expansion of velocities… How can I get these features back, or is there a new method to utilizing these features, other than heading to the MIDI menu?

Thank you very much!

j

I am guessing you don’t have the “MIDI Modifiers” tab visible in the Inspector :wink: (there was a similar post a short while ago…
Inserts section not appearing in the inspector - Cubase - Steinberg Forums … follow those instructions, then you should see all the parameters you were missing :wink: )

Thanks, but I see that, and the compress, etc… is in the velocity menu, but I see no way of randomizing the velocities; am I missing something?

Are you not seeing this?..
Random Velocity.jpg

Thank you for the screenshot! I saw that, but it appears that’s for varying it upon recording, or is that not the case?

On the contrary, these MIDI Modifiers are “Play Parameters”, i.e. they modify the data that comes from the MIDI Parts after recording.
To randomize while you are recording, you will need to use the Input Transformer.

However, since Cubase 8, there is a partial workaround, to get the MIDI Modifiers to work on input as opposed to playback (but unfortunately, this doesn’t work for the Randomize function in the MIDI Modifier… works on all the other parameters, so this might even be a bug :question: ). Anyways…
Instead of using the MIDI Modifier in its usual position, you can instead load it as a MIDI Insert FX, and the MIDI Insert FX can now be switched to “Record” mode… i.e. their parameters actually get recorded into the MIDI Part. But like I said, the only thing that doesn’t (currently) work is the Randomize parameter.

Yikes. Ok, I’ve confirmed that, but that’s not quite what I’m looking for - that’s an ‘all or nothing’ scenario that’s really not terribly helpful. For example, the older tools within Cubase 6 would enable us to visibly select which drum hits we wanted to ‘randomize’ to get a much more realistic sounding performance; is there any way to import the old midi modification tools into this environment? Or, as unlikely as that sounds, is there other tools available that would enable manipulation on this level? Or does someone have a method for randomizing drums on this level?

Thank you!

So… In my caffeinated state, I realized that maybe the Cubase 6 xml would work for Cubase 8, went to our old workstation, grabbed the directory and was about to paste it in place when I discovered… the ‘standard set 1’ directory is already in place! So now, I suppose my question is; why is 'LogicaL presets greyed out???

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\Presets\Logical Edit

Thank you!

SOLVED! Ok, so I took a chance and copied the contents of C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\Presets\Logical Edit to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 8_64\Presets, restarted Cubase, and I’m back in business - this app never ceases to amaze me, and thank goodness xml is the portable structure it is!

Thank you so much for your time people!

THX! just did this in cubase 8.5, amazing!
wish it wasnt this hidden!

Woah that’s what I’ve been looking for. I’m not terribly technically proficient, more a writer. So I tend to load complete drum sets (H/Hats, snare, kick, Cymbals etc all on one VST track and edit the whole kit together. Trying to randomise individual velocities of each component doesn’t seem to be an option in Pro 8 unless I place each individual kit component on a separate track and utilise the Midi Modifier Random option on the inspector panel which affects an entire tracks midi data. I’d love to have the option you mention but don’t have the technical ability to nut it out. Shouldn’t there be a simple option to select a row of drawn 1/16th H/hat hits in a drum kits’ VSTs key editor and randomise that row of h/hats velocity? All the other options are there re: Iterative Q and Swing etc but no random velocity.

In fact, the Logical Editor will do that for you (but, if we are to believe your “technophobe” penchant :wink:, I’d recommend taking the manual as some bedtime reading, to get the hang of how to use that, then write back here when you feel ready for a more “hands-on” explanation :wink: )

Oh well, o.k. then :wink:
In the key Editor, or Drum Editor, select the “row of notes” you desire, then open the Logical Editor, and set it up like in the following screenshots… in this instance, randomizing the velocity of the hi-hats (but do experiment with the actual values, to give you more control over the amount of randomness :wink: )
In fact, here are two different screenshots… the first one sets absolute (random) values between a minimum and a maximum, while the 2nd screenshot will impose a certain “relative” randomness to the already-existing velocities…

Thanks for that Vic.
I am a little technically challenged, but I’m getting there slowly. Literally 2 1/2 years ago I had to look up what DAW stood for before beginning my journey. Prior to that, singing and writing for myself on an acoustic was my only exposure. There are people on here with decades of experience who sometimes have sly digs at those still seemingly not knowing the obvious. Others like yourself are more helpful, thanks again.
I have not at this stage ever utilised the logical editor functions. I’ve come across it in a few videos at stages and each time thought it looks a little complex, clunky and far removed from a flowing creative writing process.
With your helpful post I’ll take the opportunity to dive into it and have a look.
Thanks again.
G

It is less frightening than it at first appears. In fact, it is quite… errrm… logical :wink:.

In case anyone happens to stumble across this thread looking for similar, the below 20min video is exactly the type of video I would love to see Steinberg themselves produce. Video not only killed the radio star, it is a far superior learning mechanism to written word alone.
Interestingly I noticed in the comments on this vid there is a supposed Cubase user of more than 8 years who didn’t even know of this capability. Perhaps there is something in that for Steinberg to ponder.
Enjoy the Vid.
Cheers
G

EDIT: OK I’ve only just now discovered this guys video series. If only I’d stumbled across them earlier. I’ve looked at a few videos and these are exceptional in my view. For someone relatively new like myself, something as simple as having the actual key strokes called out as you go matters. I’ve learned more from a couple of these vids than I could learn in hours/weeks trawling through manuals and often not even knowing where to start or look.
As I now know the guy behind these videos, visits these forums, I’d like to say a big thankyou to Nick Sibicky.
Thanks Nick, you’re a bloody legend!