Randomzing Tool for Velocity

What about the velocity randomizing tool? If for example you have a constant drum part - highlight the snare or a bigger section click type or select the intensity and threshold like minimum value and the maximum value. Plus maybe accents like harder hits on every 2/4/8/16 note etc. I always wanted to have this option and it would make the life easier :slight_smile:

Take care!

A tool like that would be cool. But right now I use logical editor presets assigned to key commands to do these tasks.

Not trying to put words in yer mouth, but Iā€™m not sure you mean ā€˜randomā€™ so much as -human-.

See this: Automation Idea: Create Volume Curve From Amplitude - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

It would be nice if one could sample an audio file and create a ā€˜templateā€™ of the amplitudes that one could apply to MIDI note velocities. ORā€¦ copy a ā€˜curveā€™ of MIDI velocities from one file to another.

For your drum example. Iā€™ll play MIDI drums and the velocities of the rolls come out far more realistic than I could program without a LOT of ā€˜randomisingā€™ as youā€™d like to do. Sometimes Iā€™m too lazy to fire up the kit. I wish I could somehow -store- the velocities of drum patterns; not the actual notes, just the way the velocities alternate and than map them (or ā€˜paint themā€™) on top of a drum pattern I draw in manually.

Same thing with strings. I often need to draw in some alternating violin bowing. I have other songs with really good patternsā€“where the bowing sounds realistic and not like a sewing machine. I wish I could ā€˜paintā€™ the velocities from that song pattern onto a new songā€™s MIDI.

I also use L/E but frankly, itā€™s often more bother than itā€™s worthā€¦ I havenā€™t built up a large enough library of ā€˜presetsā€™. I wish they included more presets of the kind yer asking about.

Actually I donā€™t think any amount of randomizing would get close to your played rolls. When playing there is of course a random element but there is also a component that is regularly ā€œoffā€ in one direction. One hand on average hits it a bit harder, or a bit later than the other hand.

The drum editor in BFD actually letā€™s you draw in different sticking patterns (e.g. R-R-L-R-R-L) which when combined with a touch of randomizing can sound pretty good.

Randomization is a feature that should be included throughout Cubase. Searching for the Logical Editor preset and/or modifying it is a pain when you are in the middle of making music.