Range Selection Tool for Key Editor [Achieved]

Having the Range Selection Tool in the Key Editor would be really handy for duplicating whole segments (including empty gaps inbetween) and for straight MIDI note trims of selections. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
[I know duplicating segments can be done with the In-Place Editor, but that’s sometimes quite inconvenient]

4 Likes

+1 please. Particularly for midi cc editing in the lanes. Much easier to select sections than the rubber band :slight_smile:

+1

+1
While they are at it… add nodes to the velocity bars in the controller display/lane and the ability to “rubber band” them. Basically, an easy way to select notes with low velocities without selecting or affecting others at all and without using the logical editor. In advance, Thank You Steinberg :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to the topic owner for making the request on this issue.
Cubase 10.5 makes it easier to use the Range Selection tool, but the function is not available in the Key Editor.

If we could duplicate a MIDI phrase using the Range Selection tool, it would be very useful to paste it at the beginning of the next bar or beat.

This feature is important and necessary for trackmakers who do a lot of copy and pasting.

Actually,those who changed to Ableton Live from cubase and fl point out its support for this operation.

2 Likes

+1

+1 for sure!

+1 for range tool or at least smarter relative duplicate like Logic or Studio One where when selected notes duplicated they snap to the next grid instead of the butt of the last note which usually makes no sense if the note is shorter than a beat.

2 Likes

i don’t know why Steinberg don’t improve things like that requested for so many years, they maybe look small and not bombastic features, but they are very useful and efficient for everyday task that improve workflow and speed. the range tool can get many improvements in general, like S1 mange to implement

2 Likes

++++++1

+1
CC lane is missing this editing tool
Iam using so much this tool outside of editor that when iam in the editor i ask myself why Steinberg is not bringing this so useful, fast and basic tool.

But does it seems to be a not know feature ? Many users would sometimes need to duplicate things in sync in the editor with a easy/fast way ?
Because for years it looks like we are not so many to wish this feature.

+1

+201

+1 Still no range selection in key editor or controller lane in cubase 11.

+1 +1 +1 +1

+1 would be a very welcome feature

+1. After coming back to Cubase, I was completely baffled that this feature is STILL missing after all these years. I need to copy controller data all the time and having to do it with the selection tool is a huge pain in the ass since it doesn’t snap to grid.

IMHO in order for the range to be useful, you should be able to control what you’re selecting. If it worked like in the Project window, there’s not much benefit since it copies everything and you might as well do it in the Project window instead. You should be able to configure it to select notes, or controller data, or both.

In Key Editor there is few “easy” workaround for midi notes duplicating…

But if you want to duplicate CC line modulation that stay “In Sync” with the grid without affecting note you don’t have simple workaround…

1–Use pencil tool to add extra point if they are not on the grid, and then use selection tool to duplicate >> Really old school… But it’s my main workaround…
It’s ok when have little few CC to edit, but start to be time consuming when have many…

2–Use in place editor, there is only 1 cc line in that place at a time, rarely use in place editor and without be able to rename CC line it’s a mind consuming if you have many of them to edit.

3–Go back to project and duplicate event with the range selection, but it means that i have to separate one event for midi notes and an other event for CC line if i want to isolate midi notes.

But duplicate event means also duplicate ALL cc line, it’s a problem if you don’t want to duplicate all CC, project at the end become very complicate with all those separate events for only 1 track.
Of course you can consolidate at the end, but wow it’s a inspiration killer…

I really don’t understand why it’s still not implanted, this is sooooo basic, and probably in the top 10 of the daily mostly used operations when you are working on midi modulation.

I really hope that MIDI modulation area like also MIDI MACRO Modulation will deserve more attention in future features …

Here is a other old topic about Range Selection tool :wink:

Hope to see this Range Selection tool one day, all most every day i need this…
Duplicate in sync CC line workaround is not very practical at the moment…

is that really so hard for steinberg to add a range selection tool to midi/drum editor ? it was the best midi editor years ago’ now it lags compare to other DAWs in many areas ,especially editing tools