Re: Building New PC for Cubase 6: Anything To Avoid?

Hi Folks,

I’m putting together a new PC for Cubase 6. Due diligence suggests that I post here, and ask if there are any motherboards/processors or chipsets combinations to avoid? Any standouts?

Thanks,
Dan

Too many variations to be accurate. One thing you can do it make your choices then post them to see what kind of feedback you get.

A couple of things that may save you some trouble though. (these are just options, and a couple tweaks would yeild the same results).

My personal choice of OS would be Win 7 Home Premium (x64).
Find a MoBo without onboard video and firewire. (finding one without onboard sound is hard, but it helps if you don’t have to search these out and disabled them later).

Cheers~!

Not entirely on topic but:
Doesn’t using an expansion card/external card and selecting the ASIO driver for it in Cubase completely bypass the onboard soundcard? I was under the impression it didn’t touch my sound at all.

I also think about buying a new PC for Cubase 6 - 64bit. Currently I’m using Cubase 4 - 32 bit on xp / core2duo 2,66 and 2 gb of ram.

My personal choice of OS would be Win 7 Home Premium (x64).

I personally consider the pro version, because of the support memory above 16 GB. Currently, the memory is so cheap that I think about buying a 24 gb (6x4gb).I use orchestral libraries and I think that the more memory the better, but I could be wrong?

Find a MoBo without onboard video and firewire. (finding one without onboard sound is hard, but it helps if you don’t have to search these out and disabled them later).

I read on a forum that a very good solution for Firewire sound inteface are gigabyte motherboards with built-in firewire TI. Currently, I use TI firewire PCI card with no problem.

It “shouldn’t” touch your sound, but it doesn’t bypass the default audio. It’s just having two choices and selecting one of them. To completely bypass, you would have to go to the System in the Control Panel, and disable the onboard audio drivers.

[quote="Piotr Kubiak"I personally consider the pro version, because of the support memory above 16 GB. Currently, the memory is so cheap that I think about buying a 24 gb (6x4gb).I use orchestral libraries and I think that the more memory the better, but I could be wrong?[/quote]
No you’re right, pro versions do allow over 16Gig ram. I have 12Gig, and with heavy use of VSTi’s, I “might” reach 4Gig. So what you’re thinking might be overkill.

I did some research before buying, and found that Home Premium also does not have many of the networking options that the pro version has. Many of these same networking options also affect overall performance of the system and the DAW. So I made that choice because it saved me extra tweaking on things I’d never use anyway.

I read on a forum that a very good solution for Firewire sound inteface are gigabyte motherboards with built-in firewire TI. Currently, I use TI firewire PCI card with no problem.

That’s what I use as well (TI FireWire card). You should be good with that, onboard or external. I tried my onboard FireWire (with a VIA chipset), and that worked well, but it shared addressing space with my PCI card slots. So every once in a while, the computer would decide to make a call to the PCI slots, which cut off all sound. So if you get a MoBo with onboard FireWire, just check to make sure it has an exclusive location in your MoBo hardware setup.