Re: Cubase 10 UR44 Direct Monitor Not Working

Fyi, I was having issues getting Direct Monitor to work in Cubase 10 with the UR44 but figured it out so here are the additional settings and configurations I used to get this to work using the compressor, EQ and reverb hardware effects built into the UR44 for realtime no latency monitoring. Hope this helps someone. (:

1. Cubase 10 does NOT have a DEVICES & Device Setup menu so Go to: Studio >Studio Setup >VST Audio System >Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO menu and check Direct Monitoring.

2. Assign the mic to the channel Input.
    2a. Go to: Studio, Audio Connections, Inputs Tab (I used Mono In 1, Device port: UR44 Input 1)

3. Assign the Output port.
    3a. Select the Outputs Tab ( I just use Stereo Out Left / Right, Device Port UR44 Mix 1L / UR44 Mix 1R)
    3b. If using headphones you must select the correct headphone jack is routed to the correct output or you will only get reverb effects thru the monitors.
    3c. Select: Studio >Audio Hardware Setup >Headphones Tab, Phones 1 or Phones2 >Mix1 L/R.

4. Set up a track for Direct Monitor.
    4a. Go to the MixConsole2 (Cubase Pro Project screen), Add Audio Track, Audio Input: Mono In 1, Configuration: Mono, Audio Outputs: Stereo Out, Count: 1, Add Track

5. Be sure the Monitor button is selected or you’ll get no sound.

6. Activate reverb and effects (compression, EQ)
    6a. Set the hardware effects on the channel strip. Go to Studio, MixConsole 3.
    6b. Click: Hardware Menu (Located above the Inserts and Routing in the Mixer.)

7. The effects will not be visible so move the dot on the switch next the “dm” to the middle or bottom position to reveal the “fx” parameters.
    7a. Click the “e” to access the hardware effects and make adjustments as necessary. Adjust TOTAL GAIN to increase the make up levels in the effects.
    7b. Save Preset so it can be used on other channels.
    NOTE: The TINY little switch next to the “dm” box sets the effects to pre or post fader.
    Warning: if the switch is moved to the top position (which is very easy because it’s so small) all compression and EQ settings will be lost and return to default when the switch is re-engaged, which is why it’s good to save the preset settings so the settings can be recalled if this happens.

8. Select the type of reverb. This is a bit counter intuitive because if you just click the “e” it brings up the default HALL reverb.
    8a. If you want to change the type of reverb, Click the Headphone icon in the lower left, Select the Reverb Routing Tab, Click on the Hall (or Plate or Room) field next to the “e” and select the type of reverb. Make adjustments and save preset.

9. Effect and reverb Levels can be adjusted by clicking on the sloping triangle under the “ChStrip” and “rev e” boxes. Click once and fine adjust with the mouse wheel.

Unresolved Issues:
    -The only thing I have not been able to figure out is how to show the Audio Track meter levels when in Direct Monitor mode.
    -The only way to get track levels from the mic is to turn off Direct Monitoring. Studio >Studio Setup >VST Audio System >Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO menu and UN-check Direct Monitoring.

It would be great if anyone happens to know how to get the Track meter to work in Direct Monitor mode to monitor track record levels.

Thanks! -bK

Just wanted to say that your comprehensive addition to this everlasting PITA bit of hardware leaves me cold!
Why would something such as this be so problematical ? I purchased a UR44 some 12 months ago and had feedback problems when trying to connect some vocal hardware FX … after reading reviews here and trying just about everything, then contacting support and having an unresolved issue, and then reading here that there are still issues with the UR44, I can’t imagine how it still is on some people shopping list ! Mine is used purely as paperweight until I get ‘round to ditching it on Ebay …
We are songwriters and musoes 1st ! And items from a reputable company such as Strindberg should make their hardware to suit our needs and not hardware engineers …
Just sayin’ is all

Byron K, thank you so much for that. Your counsel worked for my Ur824.

Spak, if you still have your UR44, and are willing to give it one more shot, try joining the “strictly Cubase” group on facebook. Those guys will help you in real time and they know their stuff. Fantastic group. I do come here first to find solutions before bothering them, like in this case. But if I get stumped, they are super helpful.

Hey, I know this is old. But I have done everything you have said in Cubase 8. No control room so I’m setting up a headphone mix with direct monitoring. Only problem is when I switch to Mix 2 L/R for the headphones, i get nothing but the reverb effect and can barely hear my vocals. While on mix 1 L/R the direct monitoring sounds great. I have tried so much.

@Travis_Harnar

Did you check the vst connections in Cubase?What you described could happen if you create an output bus and assign it to the FXbus of the UR interface.

Yup, my stereo out is Linked to Mix 1 L and Mix 1 R 1
Then the headphones bus I made is going to Mix 2 L and Mix 2 R. I’ve tried changing headphones to the main bus, and so much more.
Literally everything is working except the direct monitored vocals. The vocals sound great on Mix 1, but Mix 2 just this weird echo and delay.