Re-export Checkbox in Export Dialog

Re-exporting a mixdown is rather a royal PITA, with all the deletions and trash-emptying one seems to have to do.

How about a simple checkbox on the Export dialog window labeled “Re-export”? When checked, all things associated with the previous export of the same would replace them. This would not only include the audio file in the media pool but also the imported audio (assuming that had been requested). Reset the checked state to unchecked after each export, just to be on the safe side.

OK, this post has generated very little curiosity - not many people have bothered to read it. That makes me want to ask: am I overlooking something simple that makes re-exporting easier than I’m finding it? If everyone perceives this to be as tedious as I do, I find it a little hard to believe there’s not more demand for a solution. But like I said, maybe a solution is already there and I’m just ignorant as to what it is.

Hello,

Maybe you can explain a little more what is happening when you export a file. I don’t seem to have the issues you list (having to delete things and such) but maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to describe.

For me, when I export audio files, I usually am exporting the stereo bus. Making sure the effects I want are activated and the tracks I don’t want are muted. This file gets exported to a default location that I set up (I do not export directly into a CB project audio folder, that is just me but I suppose you could). If I re-export the same or different tracks, and use the same file name and to the same location as the previous exported file then it just gets rewritten (if I choose that option).

Again, I think, I am really not understanding the issue you are having.

I do have question: When you re-export a file (assuming the same name to the same location) are you getting the dialog box that asks if you want to “Create Unique File Name” or “Overwrite”? If not, then maybe you chose the “Create Unique File Name” and mistakenly clicked the “Please Don’t Display This Warning Again” box. To get that dialog warning box back follow the instructions in this topic. It has a link for how to delete your defaults.xml file from the preferences folder.

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks for the response, PRock.

I do get the dialog you mentioned. If I select “overwrite” (I am not at my DAW so this is by memory), I almost immediately get rejected due to a file of same name in the pool. In all cases, I am re-exporting to correct a deficiency, so I want the same file name.

Here are the steps I find necessary to do a successful re-export.

1. Remove the audio track created by importing the file created with the previous export.
  2. Open the media pool.
  3. Delete the previous export from the pool (moving to trash).
  4. Empty Trash.
  5. Then and only then am I properly ready to redo the export.

That seems like a lot of mousing around when I just want to tell Cubase “let’s do this again just like last time”.

Hope this is making sense.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my export location is normally the project’s Audio directory.

I guess I understand your thought here but I am still confused as to why you need to redo the export/import.

Couldn’t you just correct the deficiency in the different project itself? When I mixdown then import audio (or midi) into a different project the majority of the time I make sure the file is free from post recorded processing. Edits and effects are accomplished in the new project.

Again, I apologize if I am not understanding.

Regards. :sunglasses:

It works a expected here, you must be doing something :slight_smile:

In the export dialog:
Exporting to where ? (path)
Are you using the “Import into project” Pool and/or Audio Track ?
Have you set the Pool Folder ? (should be empty to use Pool Record Folder)

One frequent scenario is that I will export so I can burn the piece to CD. I listen to that on my home stereo and note changes for things that need mix loudness or EQ correction. I really don’t want to start a whole new project. I just want to make a few tweaks and export it again. If this is not the way a lot of other folks work, then I’m rather surprised.

Export to where : the project Audio folder in all cases.

Use of “Import into project” Pool and/or Audio Track : in all cases I import the result as an audio track back into the project, which I check solo-ed and then mute. In my standard project setup, I use a pre-output master bus (group channel) where all “master” effects go and that is routed to the true master bus. All mix tracks are routed to the pre-master. Imported audio is routed to the true master bus. That way any imported audio is heard in without any unwanted processing. All that info is not pertinent to this discussion, but might help explain my motives in some fashion.

Set the Pool Folder : I have not done anything on this point - I’ve just been going with whatever defaults are in place. I’m not sure what you’re talking about here, so I will need to investigate further by digging into the documentation. Thanks for this suggestion.

When you mentioned that you imported into your project pool I assumed that you were exporting a track or two into a different project. Now I believe you are mixdowning a project, in its entity to burn on a cd to listen on several different audio playing devices.

I know exactly what you mean about mixdowning several times to burn onto a CD to listen on your other audio devices. I do this all the time. What I am confused with is why you are mixdowning what hopefully might be your final .mp3 (or .wav maybe) to your audio pool. Files in the pool are used in the project. Not the final project mix. For me, final mixdowns for all my work are saved to the same default folder. It is from that location where I burn my CDs from. If I dont like the way my final mixdown sounds on my other audio devices (usually my car cd player) I go back to the project, make the adjustments, then mixdown again to the default location. That is when I usually choose to overwrite the file. Every once in a while I’ll use the create unique name option and that adds a sequential number to the file name.

So, it looks like my workflow is different from yours in the fact that I never have to import a same named file back into the project audio pool.

Even though I never tried mixdowning to the project audio folder, I am surprised that you can’t just overwrite it with the same name.

About your original FR… I would never need it but I’m all for user options. :slight_smile:

If you export audio and import it into the pool, then you press undo, the file remains in the pool. That is what is annoying!

Aha, I think I’m seeing the light. The export does not put it in the pool. The request to import it afterward does that. Well, at least I think I’m understanding this better. However, the purpose of the import back into project is to do an immediate quality control check. I’d rather discover an issue up front than find out after I’ve exited Cubase or actually burned the file to a CD. So, I think the import is a worthy step in the process.

So, rather than a re-export checkbox in the dialog, a way to get the file into an audio track without putting in the pool would suffice. Even if it were a temporary file/track that would disappear when the project is closed. In pretty much all cases, I want to hear the thing once and then I’m done with it forever.

Thanks all for your inputs on this issue.

I recorded the steps when last on my DAW and the process makes little sense.

1. Request an export of the mix (for other than the first time). We see immediately a dialog box that warns “File already exists!” (exclamation point is not my invention :smiley: ).
  2. Of the choices “Create Unique File Name”, “Overwrite” and “Cancel”, pick “Overwrite”.
  3. You get an immediate response message box:
    “A file named”
    “”
    “already exists in the Pool.”
    “It is not possible to replace it.”
    “Please us another name or another location.”

Well, if it’s not possible to replace it, then why ask in the friggin’ first place? How annoying!

Interesting thread…

The Audio Pool and its functionality are fundamental to how Cubase works/deals with non-destructive edits etc, throughout the program. I don’t think a lot is going to change there any time soon - i.e. without a complete code re-write.

So, I was thinking - maybe, you could turn all this, into one shortcut keystroke or click (macro/Project Logical Editor preset…?) to execute after your listening check and before re-opening the Audio Export dialog to re-do your export…

Now, I don’t know if that will work myself (not knowledgeable enough) but others may post to say whether it could be a good idea, to help speed the workflow - rid you (and @minimalist) of the ‘annoyance’. As he said, the main thing here is that presently, a simple ‘Undo’ isn’t enough; it doesn’t delete the file from the Pool…

Cheers,
Bob

I have never ever, made a Mixdown to my projects audio pool, that’s what the import to pool/track is for, and that’s why I got a little confused :slight_smile:
I have separate mixdown folder for each project, and use a standalone player to check my mixdowns. If in a hurry the pre-listen in the Import file-dialog is a fast easy way to listen without having to disable plugins on the master bus.

Yep, pretty much the same thought I had. I’ve never attempted to create a Cubase macro, so it will be a good learning experience in any case.

I can’t help wondering, though, whether the “Overwrite? Whoops can’t do it!” issue is a bug. If the overwrite worked, that would solve this problem in the first place.

Just thinking and I have never tried it for this purpose but…

Can we just use the “Render in Place” function for the stereo out track? Maybe that would help your workflow.

I’m going to try it when I get back to my PC unless someone reports before I try it.

This does not work even though the “Render in Place” function is available. Oh well… :frowning:

I don’t route tracks to group channels or folders so I won’t try this but, maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable about that sort of thing could try this idea…

Route all project tracks to a group track (or folder maybe?). Try a “render in Place” on that.

Double regards :sunglasses:

I do not like Cubase deciding what is good for me. Let me do it my way.

You know what I like about Waveblab? I can easily rename files and not just a fake name but actually change the name of the file. You can’t do that in Cubase except in the pool and even then it makes a copy of it, does not replace the file in your project with that new copy. That sucks.

FYI: Renaming files in the pool… All associations are kept for your project. A PIA I know but it does work. Ref op manual page 504.

Regards :sunglasses:

Indeed. This is what the ‘Undo’ history relies on, in live projects. Also, rename files/clips easily in InfoLine (Range Tool to highlight, then ‘Bounce Selection → Replace’ first perhaps).

Apologies to OP - we are veering off topic a little… :wink: