re: Focus on Staves-like feature...

I know it’s been discussed that there currently is no equivalent of Sibelius’ Focus on Staves feature (where you can temporarily display only a subset of the score) and that the current workaround is to create custom scores to show whatever subset of the score you wish. This is all well and good, but is there any way to actually HEAR the entire score, even while focused on only a subset? This to me was really the whole point of Focus on Staves - I wanted to zero in on something to really scrutinize/work on it, but still hear it by default in the context of what’s going in the entire score (since I was still technically working with the score, but only displaying a portion of it). Having such a feature would also encourage us to work “from the score outwards” by default (since we wouldn’t have to leave it to more easily zero in on info in the individual instruments, as is potentially the case now depending upon one’s workflow), and this would also help alleviate some of the issues currently being discussed involving changing things in parts first and then not having that change “stick” correspondingly to the score version, etc. (since we again wouldn’t actually be leaving the score). Finally, this would also allow me to create a click track (until a “real” click becomes available) and then hide (but still hear it). My two cents as always but very much enjoying working with the program! (caveats aside :slight_smile:) -
Best -

• D.D.

You can have the full score layout and your “focus” layout open in separate tabs, switch to the full score layout and start playback, then switch to your “focus” layout to listen.

That’s an ok temporary work-around, but this would mean that if I wanted to do an edit in the part (or custom score), I’d have to constantly go back to the full score version, choose a starting point note, hit play, and then go back and find my corresponding place in the Part (or custom score) in order to see the Part but hear the full score. Considering there’s often a lot of back and forth between editing the individual custom score or part and wanting to hear it in the context of the entire score, this feels pretty cumbersome (so here’s hoping for a more Dorico-like elegant solution, down the line).

Best -

• D.D.

Perhaps you could tack on the words “Software is never finished and we would not rule out any reasonable future developments” to all of my replies in your head? That way we can both be saved the bother of writing the obvious stuff: you saying, “it would be nice if this was different” (which is of course obvious) and me saying, “there will be more versions of Dorico later with different features” (which is also of course obvious).

Actually, both views will be synced.

I guess what I’m saying is: it would be helpful if there was a way to focus in on a single part, select notes and play from within that part, but hear the whole score (without having to go back and forth)…that to me was the particular usefulness of Focus on Staves…
Best!
D.D.