RE: One On One Vocalist?

Hi folks,

This is something I have pondered for many years now. It’s a very quick question and therefore I shall avoid any beating around the bush:

Who is the best vocalist out of Billy Joel and Phil Collins, please?

(I am not a lead-vocalist myself.)

Many thanks in advance guys…

Best,

Paul David Seaman

Billy Collins, of course!

LMFAO!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You’re joking, right?

Those two are quite possibly number 1 and 2 on my “most hated vocalists of all time” list!

:rofl:

1 Like

Scab_Pickens,

Well yes, quite - but a hell of a lot of people rave about how amazing they both are; and that Genesis’s income instantly increased significantly when Collins first stood out front.

Paul

I do have much respect for both. I just find the sound of their voices to be quite irritating whenever I hear one of their songs.

Elton John is right up there in the top 3 for me, as well!

:grin:

1 Like

. . . (please note) The question has now been revised to:

“who are your number 1 and 2 most hated vocalists of all time?!”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I can’t bear Sir Elton, or Freddie M. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

And yet there are many folks who would consider those two above and beyond both Joel and Collins!

I think the term “best” should be left alone when it comes to vocalists. Too many personal feelings.

Some of my favorite vocalists over the years have not been true singers, I guess.

Anyway, I’ll back out of this one … :smiley:

2 Likes

OK, many thanks - some very interesting points raised there mate!

I have always wanted to be able to sing ‘lead’ but I just don’t have the voice, period! :worried:

Sometimes it’s not about the skills, but the “balls” factor! (for lack of a better term).

A couple of examples I can give would be Bon Scott and Shane MacGowan (R.I.P.).

Probably not your style of music, but still relevant.

What kind of music are you trying to sing? I know you are a big Miles Davis fan …

Edit: Sorry, I thought I was “backing out” … :wink:

1 Like

Please don’t bail; I need your inner-wisdom here. :grin:

Yes, I’m obviously into jazz, as you mention. Herbie Hancock used to use a Vocoder in the late 70s and early 80s, as you probably know already. I have recently bought a Roland Jupiter XM (mini-keys) vocoder. Even if I sing out of tune it does not affect the pitch! - so I can pretty much get away with it, I think. :grin:

2 Likes

I suggest you do what makes you happy and not care about what anyone else thinks about it. Have fun and make some noise!

Are you singing for a live audience right now or just experimenting with things? The experimentation is where the fun is, in my opinion. It sounds like you have some fun toys to play with!

Anyway … back on topic. Billy Joel #1. Phil Collins #2. Elton John #3.

:grin:

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks for contributing to the quiz!

Yes, it’s just for fun. I would need to get some tracks to practice on for however long it takes. You never know, I may even make it onto your all-time “hate” list! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Well, Genesis switched from “progressive-ish” to more mainstream at the same time Gabriel left.

1 Like

I think Tony Banks is unable to busk and improvise. I am sure I saw an interview with him. I find him quite soulless to be quite honest.