Recommendations for those who perfer to write in Cubase?

Often but not always-- what comes out of Cubase IS the final…but…when budget allows, I get to record humans playing the music (hence the need for pro engraving software). Is there a video for the best practices for first writing in Cubase and THEN exporting to Dorico? Of course the question begged is ‘wish there was a fully integrated Cubase/Dorico’ version of users such as myself (which me thinks has to be more than a few.)

Thanks for your input/links to any vids.

Rob

I’m afraid I’m not aware of any such video, but from what I understand from people who do this kind of thing a lot, you can get good results using MusicXML from Cubase’s score editor, even if you don’t actually use the score editor at all during the process of putting the arrangement together. Once you’re ready to move to Dorico, go into the score editor and do a bit of display quantizing to make sure the music is basically notated as you expect it to be, then do the MusicXML export and bring that into Dorico. A bit of time shaping the notation in Cubase saves a lot of time editing in Dorico later on.

Thanks Daniel. After having worked in this manner. You speak the truth. :slight_smile:

I have being doing alot of this lately and found that editing in the standard Cubase key editor pre-export to midi/musicXml can yield excellent/accurate results IF (and only if!) you also quantize the ends of the the notes.

If you assign a keyboard shortcut to the Cubase Quantize Midi Event Ends command (/Edit/Advanced Quantize) it can be a reasonably quick process. Just have to make sure your quantize grid is set to the correct duration (for the length of note you are editing the duration of).

I haven’t tried importing MusicXml/Midi yet in V2 so maybe this has been addressed… but the biggest drawback I’ve found when importing in Music XML/Midi is that Dorico’s usually excellent rendition of practical enharmonic spelling and accidentals doesn’t seem to translate to imported material. Even after key changes etc, really wacky enharmonic stuff seems to exist that doesn’t exist when inputting directly into Dorico. That’s what I have found at least.

good luck

This is not correct, though I can see how one would make that conclusion based on the workflow.
MusicXML exported from Cubase depends on the display in the Score Editor, not Key edit, and midi data is not considered in the export.

The reason you are seeing a difference is due to the display quantize settings being at small values- 16ths or shorter, probably, since 16ths is the default display quantize value for the Score Editor. After changing the note lengths in Key Edit, what you see is the Score Editor or musicxml export simply displaying the exact note lengths.

What Daniel explained above is all you need to do, or for that matter, can do, at this point.

Indeed midi quantize the end of a note event helps a lot to get a better result before exporting XML from Cubase to Dorico but in my view there is a more powerfull feature in Cubase Score.
This feature is called “Score Notes to MIDI” and it helps to quickly transform the MIDI values according to what you see in the Score editor of Cubase.
It means that each note will be tranformed so that it has the exact MIDI value for start and end.
This function can of course be assigned to a shortcut so that pressing one key you can transform a whole track at once (or more if you want)
As I already have described this feature in this thread so I will not do it again:

It is really worth it.

EDIT
As explained by Steve below this feature is in the end only partialy usefull for XML export.
But this suggestion works well for MIDI export

Good to know, I’ll check that out.

In any case, using Score Notes to MIDI would only be helpful after you have adjusted the display quantization in the Score Editor.

Oh!
I did not know or noticed this!
I just made some test and indeed XML export from Cubase does not take the midi data in consideration but the Score Quantize value!
Well I do not like this because one Score Quantize setting can almost never work for all parts of a track let alone all tracks of a project (at least with my music)!
So I will stick with MIDI export then!

And indeed as Steve noticed Score Notes to Midi is with XML export only very partially usefull.

I must then correct my suggestion which is valid vor MIDI export only.

Well, perhaps it’s not so dire as that. Display quantize is on a per-staff basis. If you are familiar with the score editor, it’s easy to do, especially if you create presets.