Record button greys out after selecting input source (screenshots included)

Hi…I’ll try to keep this simple. When I open cubase to record from my yamaha amp I’m having an issue. Cubase sees the Yamaha and automatically shows it as the output when I go into the “connections” tab. But when I choose the Yamaha as the input source it greys out the record button so I can’t use it.

The first screen shot shows how the tracks are always supposed to look (see the red record button active). This is when only the output has the Yamaha amp chosen. The second screen shot shows the red record button greyed out after I choose the Yamaha as the input source. Any ideas on what is happening here? I’ve recorded more times than I could ever count over the years but have never seen this happen. Any help would be SO appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

It would be more helpful to show us the input tab in connections (F4).

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to look at this. I’ve included four screen shots below with a description. Hopefully these are helpful to you.

Here is the device setup screen that shows Cubase can see the Yamaha amp:

Here’s the Output screenshot that shows Cubase automatically put the Yamaha amp as the source:

Here’s the Input screen before I make a selection:

Here’s the Input screen after I select the Yamaha amp:

One thing I noticed while doing this is that the Bus Name is different for the Output and Input. The Output says “Master” while the Input does not. Does that mean anything? If it does, I’m not sure what or how to match them up. It seems “Master” is the correct one since the red record button is active for the output before I select an input.

Thanks again for any help you can give!

Mike

You say the button greys out when you select the input source. Which input source selection do you mean, the input screen or the channel inspector?

Either way, what is showing as the input on the channel inspector?

Thank you VERY MUCH for pointing me in the right direction. In looking at the channel Inspector I noticed that there was no bus connected to the input. I don’t understand why or what that really means but when I click the little box on the left that says “no bus” I can change that to “stereo” and it gets the record button to become active. But the other tracks don’t become active to record. I’ve never seen this before. Is there a way to associate a bus to this project so all tracks work properly?

Here’s a screenshot that may be helpful…? It shows the “no bus” button on the left.

You need to have “Stereo” selected on all of them.

At a guess yours is appearing this way because of the order in which you’ve set things up but Cubase can’t magically know which input you want assigned to which track.

New tracks should automatically have the new bus you created assigned to them.

To assign that bus to all existing tracks select all the tracks and hold down shift alt while you change one of them to stereo in the inspector.

To link what Grim correctly says here, to my “guess” in the previous answer, my guess was that you created the tracks before you’d created the bus, hence the reason they were assigned to “No Bus”.

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to walk through this!! Yes, with this project I did a lot of the setting up prior to connecting to the amp so that must be where the confusion came from. I’m not at home right now to play around with it but everything you say makes sense so I should be good to go. Appreciate the help!

And when you do get it setup the way you like, make sure to save that as a Template.