Record controllers overlap issue

So I am recording controllers such as expression and adding it to previously recorded midi notes. I do so in portions. Hundreds of tracks to do. I haven’t found a way to make the end of last recorded controller part dovetail with the beginning of my new part. For example, if the last part ended on a value of 64, I want it to start recording once my mod wheel reaches that same value for my new part, to avoid drastic jumps or overlapping midi data. As it is, I now have to go back and smooth out the curves manually for each segment.

I can’t say for sure because I haven’t tried it but it seems like, if you record the controllers as automation lanes vice as controller lanes in the midi editor, you should be able to use the punch in tools to do this. I think Crossover mode may be what you are looking for.

Thanks Jaslan. I will give this a try, experiment, and see if I can make it work. Will report my results.

I don’t know if it was Cubase or Cakewalk, but I remember reading a few years ago about a feature that does not involve punch in. For example, if you end the recording take at measure 10, then you could start the new recording take at measure 9, start using the mod wheel, and it will only begin to record when I reach the same value that I ended with in the previous take. So if the value ended at 100 the last take, new controller data would begin to record once I reach 100 in the new take.