Record Enable not working

Hello all,

I am a newbie for Cubase, and I need some help. I am following a few YouTube videos on learning about HALion Sonic SE.

I have Cubase 10.5 Elements. I am having a problem in “Record Enable” at various tracks.

Steps -

1. Created a blank project.
  2. Created an instrument track with Halion Sonic SE
  3. Added an instrument on 1. - Piano.
  4. Added another instrument on 2 - Strings
  5. Added another instrument on 3 - Vocal

I can hear individual instruments when I have highlighted them.

The problem starts now.
(1) When I add 2 more MIDI instruments tracks and when I play on the keyboard the volume is highlighted only in Track 1 → which is the Instrument track.
(2) When I select the “Record Enable” on Strings, I still hear Piano. I have to manually open the Halion Sonic SE and then select Strings.

Is my problem is because I am just using the “Elements” version and not a Pro version?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Please, make sure, you add MIDI Tracks.

Make sure, the MIDI Track’s (Strings) MIDI Channel is set to 2, please.

While this is a totally legit way to set things up, you might want to consider an alternative approach which many of us feel creates an easier workflow.

Instead of creating one Instrument Track using a multi-timbral VSTi like Halion or Kontakt and loading it with three different Instruments on different Channels, use multiple Tracks of the VSTi, one for each Instrument. So in your example create a Track each for Piano, Strings & Vocal and have each with their own instance of Halion. This makes it much easier to see what is happening and mostly lets you ignore MIDI Channel numbers and having to match them up.

Folks tend to assume that using 3 instances of Halion is more wasteful of computing resources than using a single instance. But this really isn’t the case - in some situations it is the exact opposite.

1 Like

Hi @Martin.Jirsak - Yes, I just did that (forgot to add to the steps). But still, it’s not working.

Hi @raino, I will give it a try.

Folks tend to assume that using 3 instances of Halion is more wasteful of computing resources than using a single instance. But this really isn’t the case - in some situations it is the exact opposite

I am trying the former, but let me check three different channels. Do they need to be instruments or midi channels?

how to monitor the CPU and memory utilization ? from the task manager ?
is there any option in the preference to set how much CPU and memory can be used ?
i have 32 GB RAM, and probably going to upgrade to a Dell XPS desktop with 64 GB RAM.

Hi,

If you add 3 independent Instrument tracks, you are using the Instrument tracks only, no MIDI track. All Instrument tracks are working on MIDI Channel 1 then.

In Cubase, you can open Audio Performance window (from the Studio menu), or you can show the System Performance Meter on the Transport Bar.

No.

1 Like

but out of curiosity, how come the feature is working for others and not for me ? is it because I am using Cubase elements and not Cubase pro?

No.

Good chance it is how you’ve configured your MIDI settings - like in this thread

1 Like

The same thing happened to me. This may sound weird, but my mini controller defaulted to banks on the keyboard. You might want to check that it’s only one bank that goes from the lowest to the highest note on your keyboard.