Record Midi in Track witth existing Midipart without merging

Hello,
my Problem is, that I cant find a solution cause I dont know what its called :cry:
I´m trying to just very easy record midi on a track that has allready some midi parts on it, and cubase always merges those parts. Where can I shut that off???
I´ve been looking down at the stacked mode and in the preferences, but I dont know what this function is suppose to be called?
Can please someone enlighten me quickly, its so annoying and timeconsuming!

thank you very much!!!

Does your Transport Bar have the Record Mode pane? (if not, right-click and choose the options for what you want visible)
I think you want the option “New Parts” rather than “Merge”.

like I said, I tried all that, its set to New Parts! Thats why I´m frustrated!!!

Are you recording in the Project widow, or inside a MIDi Editor?

inside the project window

Just to be absolutely sure…
You are certain that the MIDI is getting merged into the same MIDI Part, and you aren’t simply looking at the MIDI “overview” (i.e. you don’t have Lanes open… and in fact each recording is on its own lane?)

Well Its not merged, but put together in one massive midi file, so it basically starts at the beginning of the song and creates one big file, showing that there are other midiparts in it by thos dark lines in cursiv under it. So its not one merged file, but its totally messy and I´ll have to cut out every new part that I´m playing otherwise I´d have xy midi parts covererd over another. I guess you´d want that, if you record only lets say Modwheel data afterwards over a prt, as we all have just 2 hands. but I´m composing to a movie, so everytime I´m playing the same Instrument, just maybe 4 minutes later, it makes a midifile starting at the beginning. I hope I made this now clearly, If I knew how to name my problem, I´d probably have found it in the handbook… THANKS SO MUCH FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME!!!

So, what do you actually see if you click on the “Show Lanes” icon for that MIDI track? You should need to “cut” anything (unless you want to, of course :wink: )
(just wasn’t sure exactly what you meant by "showing that there are other midiparts in it by thos dark lines in cursiv under it). Can you upload a little screenshot?
You might also consider using more than one track, routed to the same MIDI Instrument :wink:.

Hi

Well Its not merged, but put together in one massive midi file, so it basically starts at the beginning of the song and creates one big file, showing that there are other midiparts in it by thos dark lines in cursiv under it.

Do you have Cycle mode enabled (Transport panel)?

If you record midi in cycle mode the resulting midi part will always have length set by locators.
If you set locators at beginning and end of your song, then your recorded midi part will cover the entire song even if you want to record a only few bars.

Well, yes I have cycled mode on, and as a matter of fact, this makes sense, I just tested, when setting the locators, the recorded midipart is same length. Is there any way I can shut it off? Like just record from when I hit it till I stop?

… errm… the Cycle button on the Transport Bar, maybe? :wink:

I dont want to shut off the cycle. Just shut off that the midipart is the same lenght as the cycle.

Sorry, there’s no way to shut that off.
(well, you could in fact create a macro to trim the part length to the recording afterwards, but it’s rather messy to create, and, frankly, IMHO, not worth the effort :wink: )

Thats too bad. Well, thank you all kindly for your help. I guess I´ll have to live with this :slight_smile: