record multiple midi tracks ?

hello,

i’d like to record all 16 tracks being sent from the scratchpad sequencer on my keyboard into cubase all at once. my problem is that every single track records all 16 channels, and i want 1 track per channel. i’ve set up cubase w/each track having a specific input port and a specific channel, and all of these channels are unique. i’ve also verified that what’s coming out of my keyboard is actually coming out on separate tracks, but still not getting the results i was expecting. any ideas on what i could try ?

thanks !

Seems like you have covered all the bases so I would suggest
you record each midi track seperately by using the mute in your scratch pad

that would be EXTREMELY tedious. is there no other way ?

I never actually tried this, but I think it will work:

In the inspector there is a bent arrow called the input transformer. select it and choose “Local”. The transformer opens up.
Turn on the power button for module 1.
In the preset list choose “channel filtering” and then assign a channel for that track. "Pass ch 1"should do just that - pass only channel #1.
Do the same for each incremental track and channel.

Good luck with that.
Phil

1 Like

Phil is right :wink:

For me the simplest approach is to set a single track’s input to the proper MIDI input (if your sequencer sends over more than one port, then choose ‘All MIDI inputs’), and the track’s output should be directed to the correct plugin or external MIDI instrument, while the channel is set to ‘any’

Activate the record button for a single new/empty track as described above, start the transport, and record your take. It will record all 16 channels of input to a single track in one pass, but don’t worry, it’s super easy to turn this type 0 MIDI formatted MIDI track into a group of separated type 1 tracks!

Once your take is done, you can select the track (left click it so the track controls highlight), all the events on it (right click the track and choose ‘select all events’, the bars indicating data on the track should turn to a darker color), tap the ‘p’ key on your keyboard to expand the transport start and end locators to include all of your selected events, and then go to the MIDI menu and use the ‘Dissolve Part’ function to separate it into individual tracks according to MIDI channel.

A slightly more complex scenario:
What if you need to send 8 tracks to Halion 5, 4 tracks to Groove Agent 4, and 1 track to a dedicated grand piano plugin?

Option 1 (easiest): Just put it all on one track in a single pass as described above (it might sound like a train wreck during the initial recording pass, but will take less than 10 seconds to fix), ‘Dissolve’ the track, and then set the instrument outputs/channels of each track after the dissolve process.

Option 2: you’d need to set up three tracks (or more if you’re using multiple instances of any of these plugins).

Set the first with input ‘All MIDI inputs’, with output directed to Halion on channel ‘any’.
Set the second with input ‘All MIDI inputs’, with output directed to Groove Agent, channel ‘Any’.
Set the third track with input ‘All MIDI inputs’, with output directed to your Piano plugin, channel ‘Any’.

Use Transformer inserts (or local transformer filters) on each track (set to record insert output), configured as ‘channel range filters’ to delete any unwanted data on that track.

The logic you’d build with the transformer editor would work something like this (for channels 1-8 on the Halion track):

if (event channel is outside the range from channels 1-8) then (delete the event).

Now toggle the record button on for all three tracks.
Start the transport and record your take in a single pass.

Now, click in the controls area of your Halion track so it highlight.
Hold down the control key and click on the other two tracks you just recorded.
Right click the control area of either of the three tracks and choose ‘select all events’.
Tap ‘p’ on the keyboard to set the transport locators.
Go to the MIDI menu, and select ‘Dissolve Part’.

Now you should see a new group of tracks created that has split everything up by channel and instrument (type 1). You can go back and mute/hide/disable/or delete your initial merged (type 0) recording tracks if you like.

If this is something you do often, study up on the ‘project logic editor’, as that can allow you to build a ‘macro’ to automate many of the steps described above. You can assign your macros to key combos, MIDI remote controlled events, or simply locate them in the logical editor’s preset menu(s) with your mouse.

Another approach:
It should work with your initial described setup (where you set up individual tracks in advance) if you set input to ‘All MIDI inputs’ and output to channel ‘any’, then simply add a transformer insert to each track that deletes all events not-equal to the expected channel, and make sure the ‘record insert’ option is toggled on.
You’ll also need to make sure you’ve toggled the record button ON for each track.

thanks, guys, for all your great info, that really helped. saved me a bucketload of time – took me 5 minutes instead of 75… :smiley:

Hi all … i have cubase element 9 !
Any one can help me to record multi track or it is not possible in my cubase.?
Thanks

For midi not in the way you intent to. By default Midi tracks receive all channels at once. If your device sends midi on different channels these are all recorded on the same midi track. You of course can insert many midi/Instrument Tracks and record on all of them but all will receive the same midi content.
In Cubase Pro you have an input transformer were you can filter out midi channels while letting pass the one channel you want to record. This unfortunatly is not possible with Elements since there is no input transformer.

Make sure that the different parts you want to record have all different midi channels send by the device you send midi from.
Record everything on the same midi/instrument track. After that you dissolve the midi Parts by Channel in the midi menu. Now for every channel a different track is created.

Dear Novikthewise, thank you for your reply, I found the solution in the manual after hard searching in page 462, by using ( dissolve part ) in the MIDI menu, i will copy a part from the manual for demonstration, many thanks to you.
((PROCEDURE

1. Select the parts containing MIDI data on different channels.
  2. Select “Dissolve Part” from the MIDI menu.
  3. In the dialog that opens, select the “Separate Channels” option.))

Dude, thank you so much for this! I was pulling my hair out for a day with this. Actually, I was hanging around the “Inspector Input Transformer” for 2 seconds, but said, “nah, that’s not it” lol
You made my day man! I think you helped out before if I’m not mistaken with one of these Cubase “brick wall” problems that no one on this earth explained properly. You rock! Thanks!

so i have the same problem, and i try to do what is suggested here, but still not working.
i want to record my Korg pa 700 like midi.
i want to record the midi script for each part of the style (drums, bass…)
i set at the Korg the input and output like the picture below, and i set at the Cubase the midi track that fits for each one.
also, I set the input transformer for any track and I filter it that fits the channel
but, it’s not working, I got all the midi input to all the channels, and not split, any help?
any tutorial on how to set this property?

so, this video was helpful…